Problematic things about SU, from the promenade to the shortage of chicken tenders

Like spending $6 million on a walkway

As much as we all bleed orange, I think it’s safe to say there are a few things that ‘Cuse can change. Here are some of the problematic things at SU:

Chicken tenders are only served on Thursdays

Honestly how hard is it to pop these frozen tenders in every day? If the dining halls can grill chicken and burgers daily then this should be no problem. Am I going to eat chicken tenders every day? No. I hope not. Will I probably get sick of them as an option after about 2 weeks? Probably. But I should have the OPTION to enjoy fried chicken every time I swipe in. All my friends at universities and colleges across the US have chicken tenders in their dining halls every day. I demand that we meet the level of excellence that these campuses do.

The entire existence of South Campus

The idea of having your own apartment complete with kitchen sounds great. Until you realize that you have to take a 15 minute bus ride to even get to campus. But don’t worry, because the buses pretty much always run late and also don’t adjust for peak traffic hours so you’ll have to fight to get on one after your 5pm recitation on Wednesdays. Oh it also costs more than living in a dorm but you get randomly assigned so just hope that it works out for you. Freshmen will still get spots in DP and Ernie though, because building another freshmen dorm isn’t going to enhance our campus like the promenade does.

The lack of variety on Marshall Street

Its basically just Chipotle and then places to get gross pizza or Chinese food. I personally would like to see somewhere that offers quality chicken tenders until the dining halls start serving them daily. Variety is important in our diets, and I think if we had a burger place like Five Guys or another Original Grain that all the vegans don’t have to drive to, it would do really well.

The Ban of Hoverboards

Why must we lose the small elements of fun that sustain us during hard times? Nothing made me smile like seeing kids try to go down hills on hoverboards. Please Syracuse, bring back hoverboards.

The lack of walkway between Maxwell and Newhouse

Just some more pathways through the larger grass sections of Syracuse would be nice. I’m really lazy and don’t want to walk all the way around but I also don’t want to be rude and make the grass look ugly by trudging over it. Maybe if we all started walking over it though they would make a path for it. We’re in this together Syracuse, from now on just walk wherever you think there should be a path.

The entire promenade in both concept and execution

I’m so sorry I’m just honestly not over this still. I will never get over this. I will never move on. Every step I take on that thing is a reminder than we spent $6 million to put concrete over concrete that was already there.

None of the dorms were created equal

I’m lucky and the two roommates I’ve had in my open doubles have been really chill and its been a good time. But when Marion’s washing machines are full and no one is getting their clothes out and I visit my friend in Ernie and they have multiple machines on every floor, I get a little annoyed. Not to mention Ernie also has like 6 study lounges on every floor that could have been rooms. What do you need a bunch of study lounges for? Go to Bird like everyone else. Also Syracuse came up with the really great concept of split doubles, allowing for you to have a roommate but still some privacy, but then decided that they would only do that in certain dorms and not renovate the rest. Probably could’ve been done, but we would need, like, $6 million for that project.

Kimmel room- photo by Sarah Wansor

You can still bleed orange all you want, but you have to admit, ‘Cuse could benefit from some changes.

Syracuse University