Family Weekend 2016: Seven restaurants to appease any parent

There’s a restaurant for every type of picky SU parent

Parents’ Weekend: the two-day period you’re most excited for as you get to mooch on your parents’ money and actually eat real food that doesn’t make you gag every time you smell or eat it (I’m looking at you @SU Dining Halls). Here’s the best places to take them in the 315.

Pastabilities 

Pastabilities is the perfect restaurant for easy to please, pasta-loving parents located near Armory Square, the cultural hub of Syracuse. With many popular sauce options like vodka cream and their famous spicy tomato oil, you can’t go wrong. My favorite is the fresh basil-walnut pesto with whole wheat penne, but you can combine any pasta with any sauce. The style is pretty authentic, meaning the portions are just as big as the appetizer spread your Italian aunt puts out any time more than two people are at her house. The interior of the restaurant is cozy and stylish, making it a popular hotspot. Most importantly, the wine list is huge and has great pairings to go with any pasta and sauce.

Beware though! They fill up really fast and don’t take reservations. I recommend going for lunch when they serve cafeteria-style or ordering takeout by calling! Afterwards, head across the street to their bakery, Pasta’s, to grab some of their fantastic bread.

Basil-walnut pesto with whole wheat penne and a meatball sub special

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que 

Dino Bar-B-Que is a NYS favorite and ‘Cuse original. It’s perfect for the hangry parent who just drove up from Florida (or where ever they came from) to see you for Family Weekend because the portions are massive and protein-packed. The vast menu features BBQ classics like chicken wings, pulled pork, and ribs. The most popular item is undoubtedly the Bar-B-Que Pit Plate, a tray of ribs, homemade cornbread, and two delicious sides. For those of you who are gluten-free, Dino has options for you as well! The beer selection, like the menu, is vast and popular. There are also plenty of microbrews and local beers for the beer lover in your family. Some of my top picks from the menu are the Syracuse Pale Ale and the seasonal Half Full Pumpkin Ale.

From thebluecollarfoodie.com

Empire Brewing Company 

Speaking of beer, the Empire Brewing Company is a fantastic spot if you’re looking to impress your parents with that beer knowledge that you picked up from a random at Chuck’s who was definitely way too old to still be hanging out at Chuck’s.  Since 1994, this local subway-themed microbrewery has been crafting ales and lagers in the heart of Syracuse.

They source their ingredients locally (cool fact to tell your parents) and work extremely hard to do business in a way that is sustainable. The brewpub, located downtown, has typical bar fare like burgers, mac and cheese, sandwiches, and salads. They even offer Sunday brunch! Treat your parents to a night on the town and a beer or two. Maybe even a mimosa, since they serve brunch and all.

Photo courtesy http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/ny/syracuse/empire-brewing-company-restaurant.html

Strong Hearts 

For all of you vegans and vegetarians out there, this is the place for you! I first had Strong Hearts at the fair this past August and I fell in love. The menu is creative, delicious, and entirely vegan. There are two locations but the one on the hill in Marshall Square Mall is great if your parents are feeling tired and don’t want to go too far to eat. I love the buffalo “chicken” kale salad and the milkshakes, of course. With over twenty flavors, the milkshake selection is undoubtedly one of the most popular snacks up on the hill for SU students.

Though slightly more expensive, Strong Hearts is definitely worth it. The quality of this food is amazing and the recipes are American favorites that I know all of you veggies miss. Check out the main location on East Genesee for a bit of a wider selection and to get your parents away from all of the hustle and bustle of main campus.

Photo courtesy of Yelp

The Mission 

This unique restaurant, perfect for any history-buff parent, is located in an old church that also doubled as a stop on the Underground Railroad. Beyond being one of the many significant historical buildings in Syracuse, the food is awesome and extremely affordable. One of my favorites are the Tamales Verde, a traditional vegetarian tamale with a kick. This place has authentic Mexican food, perfect for the family member who constantly says Chipotle doesn’t count as Mexican food. (We can keep dreaming though.) One unique feature of The Mission is its Chino-Latino restaurant. With options like Ginger Sesame Tofu Roll-Ups and Indo-Chine Double Happiness Bowl, there’s even options for people who aren’t a fan of spice. The alcohol situation here is eccentric because hard liquor cannot be served in a church. All of the margaritas are made with wine, allowing your mom to channel her inner “wine mom” while still enjoying a margarita!

From yelp.com

Alto Cinco

I couldn’t include one Mexican restaurant so I chose two. Alto Cinco, located on Westcott, is another fantastic Mexican restaurant, but it located closer to campus. It’s about a thirty minute walk or a five minute car ride. The menu is pretty big and there are so many amazing options. I opted for a Cinco Special quesadilla, a vegetarian quesadilla packed with rice, beans, cheese, and plated with sour cream and house made pico de gallo.

Alto Cinco has more of an American influence than The Mission, making it the perfect place to take your picky sibling who only eats chicken fingers.  Also, he bar menu has traditional picks as well as Mexican-style favorites like margaritas and Dos XX.  FYI- The restaurant gets packed with SU students on the weekends so I would recommend going early to grab a table since they don’t take reservations or ordering takeout for delivery!

Photo courtesy of http://www.foodspotting.com/places/149163-alto-cinco-syracuse

Modern Malt

Last but certainly not least is Modern Malt. Like it’s namesake, the establishment is a modernized version of a ’50s dinner, and whips up classic breakfast foods like egg sandwiches, waffles, pancakes, and more. If you’re feelign adventurous, try one of their signature dishes like The Barney Rumble (Fruity Pebble toasted French Toast) or the Elvis (banana and bacon pancakes). If you’re feeling savory, try their General Tso’s chicken and waffles, their Turkey Club (with a side of tots, ofc), or even their Bloody Mary Shrimp salad. BUT, you need to pair whatever you get with one of their delicious shakes or malts (their thin mint flavor one is actually to-die-for). Seriously, nothing on this menu is bad, and Modern Malt is perfect for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner- just prepare to wait to get seated because it’s usually always packed, unless you go super early in the morning.

Photo courtesy of Sarah Berkowitz

No matter where you choose to take the fam, happy eating! And here’s to hoping you don’t (or do) eat your body weight in normal food.

Syracuse University