Syracuse Univesity raises awareness for mental health

More students suffer from mental illness than you think

Approximately 30 percent of college students suffer from depression, according to a study done by NAMI. The most common mental illnesses college students experience include not only depression but eating disorders, anxiety, ADHD, substance abuse and many others.

While there are resources on every campus in the nation for students suffering from these illnesses, many do not seek help and their personal condition fails to improve. In fact, some students actually drop out of school due to the pressures put on them by university that drastically influence their condition. The same study by NAMI asked students what may have helped them stay in school. Some of the answers included “receiving accommodations,” “getting support from family and friends,” and “accessing mental health services and support on campus.”

NAMI’s study also discloses why most students do not attempt to get help. Some students believe their mental illness will influence how others view them, while others do not have the appropriate resources on campus to deal with their mental illness.

However, this week at Syracuse University, the SU Student Association is sponsoring a Mental Health Awareness Week with many ways for students who are struggling to learn how they can get help and for others to learn more about certain disorders and to learn how they can help their peers. This type of event can be life changing for those who do not believe that the campus has the support and resources to be able to deal with their mental illness.

According to the NAMI study, 62 percent of college students believe that peer-run organizations and events make a significant difference in mental health awareness. The week of events kicked off on Monday, October 2nd with a presentation on co-occuring disorders. There are many events being held this weekend including meditation, presentations, and therapy dogs on the quad (Thursday from 11am to 3pm ), as well as various other activities.

I spoke with members of the Syracuse University community to understand more about what they think makes mental health awareness so important.

Joyce LaLonde, current president of the Syracuse University Student Association and senior Policy Studies major, had quite a bit to say about mental health awareness. “Mental health is important and too often not brought to the table as a topic of discussion. Society has so heavily stigmatized mental wellness, illness and health that it is often compartmentalized or put to the side, specifically in black and latino communities as well as the LGBTQ+ community. There are intersectionalities with identities and co-occuring disorders with mental health that really need to be brought to light in this country and on this campus.”

Joyce was also able to provide information about resources on campus, such as the Counseling Center, the Office of Health Promotions, Hendricks Chapel, and student-run organizations such as Active Minds, NAMI, and Peer Health Educators. “A lot of groups and centers around campus are addressing mental health, and it would be impossible for me to properly name each of them,” she said.

Joyce LaLonde, President of SU Student Association

Syracuse University and the SU Student Association are “currently compiling a report that details the resources on this campus compared to other peer institutions. This campus has a long way to go with mental health resources, but I believe that we are at a point where administrators and the campus community want to make these changes.”

Sam*, a sophomore Policy Studies major, said that he believes “mental health awareness is important because so many people on this campus and others around the country suffer from some form of mental illness. I know at least 10 people who are on antidepressants here, including myself. I’m sure there are many more. But the idea that something like depression on a college campus is so big makes me wonder what other colleges are doing to address it. It’s nice to know that SU is trying to de-stigmatize mental illness.”

McKenna Moore, a junior Newspaper and Online Journalism major, says this week of awareness is of high importance to her. “I want to work to de-stigmatize mental illness. I struggle with depression, anxiety, and some disordered eating, but I’m not ashamed of it anymore and I want to share my stories and my struggles and successes with others to work towards a healthier campus and world.”

McKenna Moore, junior Newspaper and Online Journalism major

As a campus community, it is our responsibility to help students who need help. This week and every week, make an effort to help someone whether it be by providing them with information for the counseling services on campus or simply by being there to talk to them. Your role, no matter how small, can make a lasting impact in the life of someone who is struggling.

If you or someone you know needs services relating to mental health, please contact the Syracuse University Counseling Center at 315-443-4715. You can also make an appointment online or drop by their office at 200 Walnut Place.

Syracuse University