Every reason to count yourself lucky if you’re from RFH

‘Whether you come to sunbathe or surf, there’s a place for you at the Jersey Shore’

From the Dawgpound to pork-roll to the Haskell, here are the best things about living in Rumson-Fair Haven, New Jersey.

Bagels and pork roll (not Taylor Ham)

Now that I’m hundreds of miles from the Shore at college, I truly have never missed a New Jersey bagel more in my life. There is nothing like grabbing your best friends and picking up a PEC (Pork Roll, Egg, and Cheese on an everything bagel) on a Sunday morning. Don’t even try to challenge me on that, it’s a Jersey fact.

The Dawgpound

The Dawgpound bleeds purple through and through. Though our chants have been censored a bit over the years, we have supported our Dawgs with everything we have. If you ever come across a pack of teenagers singing/screaming, “Hey baby you, you got what I need, and you say he’s just a friend…” odds are, it’ll be the Dawgpound. RFH Forever.

Summer Stage

One of the best things about the Jersey Shore in the summertime, are the concerts held at the Stone Pony’s Summer Stage. The feeling of singing and dancing along with five thousand other people right next to the ocean is incredible. Grab dinner at Porta before your concert, and you’ll have one of the best nights of the summer, guaranteed!

States

Our Bulldawgs are addicted to winning State titles. Football, Field Hockey, Lacrosse (Boys and Girls), Soccer (Boys and Girls), Basketball, Cross Country, Track, you name it, we’ve won it. But the yearly journey for the Football team to a state title is truly unique for RFH. Rain or shine (as clear in the photo above), the Dawgpound is out there cheering on the impending State Champions. To RFH, “states” isn’t a word, it’s a way of life.

Haskell – More than a Horserace

The Haskell, held at Monmouth Park Racetrack, is a summer staple. All RFH alumni and current students overwhelm the picnic area dressed to the nines. The RFH section is filled with Vineyard Vines and Lilli Pulitzer, paired with the necessary Haskell hat. With rum buckets and gambling on horses, the only bad thing about the Haskell is that it only happens once a year.

Bruuuuuuuuce

Bruce Springsteen is a Jersey icon. You’ll hear his albums being played at every party, barbecue, and event. All ages can belt out “Jersey Girl” without a problem. I mean, how can you not be obsessed with your superstar neighbor? Bruce is simply legendary, and Jersey Girl can tell you that.

The Navesink

Our town lies between the Atlantic Ocean, the Navesink River, and the Shrewsbury River. On a warm, sunny day you can join your friends on a boat to relax or go tubing! Or, you can SUP (stand-up paddle board), kayak, and jump off of rope swings. Laying on a boat, soaking up the sun is one of life’s greatest pleasures if you live by the Jersey Shore.

The Most Important Part – The Food

From the best “Grandma’s Pie” in the world, to the iconic “Lighthouse” ice cream, the Jersey Shore has some of the greatest food around. Check out Sea Bright Pizza, Tavalo, Unidici, Yumi, Pierhouse, or McLoone’s for the yummiest dinner imaginable. Follow that with Lighthouse ice cream, and trust me, your stomach will thank you.

The Beach

Jersey beaches are some of the most beautiful on the East Coast. Don’t believe me? Then come see for yourself. The water and the sky blend into one cohesive blue, the sand between your toes is better than any massage, and the ocean is effortlessly therapeutic. Whether you come to sunbathe or surf, there’s a place for you at the Jersey Shore. Even in the winter, when the sand is covered in snow the beach is amazing.

Last But Not Least – The People

Growing up in a one square mile town with the same people for 12 years may seem boring, yet it’s anything but. We’ve gone through our awkward years together, first day of high school together, and we’ve had hundreds of cries but thousands of laughs. From pre-k to high school graduation, we have all made inseparable bonds. No matter how far life takes us, we always have our Rumson-Fair Haven home base – and nobody can take that away.

So if you’re lucky enough to grow up in Rumson-Fair Haven, you’re lucky enough.

Syracuse University