James Franco on bad movies, love, and that Bound 2 parody video

The actor and director came to ‘Cuse for a special Q and A event presented by University Union on 9/17

James Franco casually walked on the Goldstein Auditorium stage and was immediately greeted to a round of loud applause and standing ovations, before he even opened his mouth. The first thing he addressed the crowd with is, “Did we win the game?” (FYI- the answer is NO).

The event was presented by University Union and Traditions Committee, and featured multiple Q&A series from the audience, Twitter, and even a lightening round. All questions were answered with tons of small anecdotes from Franco’s childhood from his first kiss in second grade with a gal named Jenny Brown, to his career. His favorite scenes to perform were from Spring Breakers and that ultra-famous Bound 2 parody video, (which was shot on lunch break during The Interview filming).

Franco spilled the beans on tons of his movies and shows, even admitting to some of them being terrible (shade has officially been thrown). He also gave advice to those who hope to enter the entertainment business post-graduation. “If you wait around for everything to be perfect, you’re never going to make anything,” he emphasized. He also admitted to getting rejected from jobs, “all the time, still” and that failure is a natural part of life.

As for his love life? “All of my dates go well,” he said with a laugh, when asked what his worst date experience was. Franco advised audience members that the secret to love and a successful relationship is to “just be interested in the other person” along with “it’s also good to share and open up to one another.”

Towards the end of the show, Franco was asked by an audience member to go to Chuck’s, to which he responded, “I’ll figure it out later.” He also took a massive selfie with the crowd, and stopped to sign autographs, despite the security guards next to him, trying to whisk him away. (Fun fact- he even took photos with fans who waited outside Schine– super jealous).

But, he did sign my press pass, which was super-cool.

In all honesty, the event was interactive and entertaining. It was amazing to sit, like, three feet away from this living legend known as James Franco.

#FrancoForever

Syracuse University