Syracuse University ranked best school on the East Coast – by me

#60th in the U.S, #1 in our (orange) hearts

Recently, U.S News & World Report released their ‘Best Colleges Rankings for 2016‘ and Syracuse University ranked #60. After reading their overview of student life at the university, I realized it’s a little bland. Some of the things they mentioned were that students must live in on campus housing, we have a study abroad in Florence, our winters are cold, we have 300 clubs, and something called Jazzfest.

All of these are great, but what about Mayfest? Or making it to the Final Four? On this campus there are so many unique things that separate us from the others. Not only can you go to Florence, but you can also travel anywhere from Florence to Lebanon. Besides Jazzfest (literally, what is this), our school sets up Mayfest and Juice Jam along with other concert events almost every month. We were able to get performers such as Fetty Wap, Tove Lo, The Chainsmokers, Big Sean, Tory Lanez, Bryson Tiller,and Chance the Rapper all in the span of a few months. Do you know any other school that gets this many performers?

Juice Jam 2015

Almost everyone is aware that Syracuse gets extremely cold, so it is beyond me as to why they needed to mention that. Instead, that word count could have been used to talk about that sunny day we brought when we made it to the Final Four.

A typical winter day in the 315

Besides the overview, the academic statistics were helpful in understanding our ranking. To summarize, we ranked 36th in Best Colleges for Veterans, 43rd in business/entrepreneurship programs, and 75th in best undergraduate engineering programs. Syracuse University’s overall score was 59 out of 100.

Don’t let these rankings get to you, because it is apparent that the ranking does not understand exactly what makes us number one. From aspiring to be a student-centered research university, encouraging global study and creativity that harvests new innovations at the school itself, brilliant minds continue to advance the school.

In general, Syracuse students have maintained a good balance between working hard and playing hard(er). We’ve done a good job rushing from our last Friday classes to the tailgates. We get free admission into Club Bird, then pay cover fees at Harry’s, Lucy’s, DJ’s, or Chuck’s, depending on your class standing.

pour it up pour it up

So, U.S News and World Report, I think you got it wrong this time. ‘Cuse will always be the best school on the East Coast, and possibly the planet. #BleedOrange.

Syracuse University