Everything you need to know about tailgating at SU

If you missed the first tailgate and you have serious FOMO, we’ve got you covered

Are you unsure of how to go about this very college-y act of day-drinking while strutting your school pride? Are you just a sports fan looking to get some pre-game excitement? Do not fret, the semester has just started and so have the tailgates.

If you find yourself here in the 315 on game day, or any day that the sun makes an appearance, there is a good chance that there will be a tailgate. We’ve maintained a spot in the top 10 party schools for a reason.

How do you tailgate?

The look

Tailgates in these parts tend to be like fashion shows, where the skilled and crafty people get to show off their cool scissor-wizardry with their elaborate and unique renditions of ‘Cuse tees.

That being said, do your best. If its orange or blue, you will fit in. In the sea of orange, you’ll see everything from overalls, orange and blue zebra leggings, jean skirts, last year’s homecoming shirt, class t-shirts (freshmen), ‘Cuse Converse, orange hair ties, orange socks, ‘Melo jerseys (lots of them, #15 for those who don’t know), and more. Tailgate season is a time to get creative and festive.

The zebra leggings!

Mix a cute orange and blue skirt with a ‘Cuse tee for a unique look. This one is from Forever 21.

Tip: cool sunglasses are always in for tailgate fashion.

Where’s the party?

Follow the crowd. There will be lots to do, just follow the herds of Orange and start fist-pumping. Boom, welcome to a tailgate!

All roads lead to Castle.

You’ve arrived, now what?

Embrace the atmosphere, you only have about four years to enjoy this sea of drunk ‘Cuse fans. Drink some cheap beer, dance to the same 10 songs that you hear constantly and just enjoy yourself. You will soon be filled with the happiest feeling of regret, greatness, and tiredness, its really a feeling worth experiencing.

Game time

This is the point in the day where some of the crowd heads for Ernie, some go home to nap and the real masters of rallying head to The Carrier Dome for the main event, the nachos.

Fun fact: Sbarro pizza will actually sound good after a day of cheap beer and regret.

Good luck at the next tailgate. If you don’t leave it all on the dance floor at whatever tailgate you attend try to make your way to the game.

Go Orange!

Syracuse University