SU names new athletic director

John Wildhack ’80 has some serious experience in the sports field

Chancellor Kent Syverud announced today that Syracuse University S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications alum John Wildhack will be SU’s new Director of Athletics.

Wildhack has been working for ESPN for years, and currently serves as the network’s Executive Vice President for Programming and Production.

In an email from Syracuse University News, Chancellor Syverud said, “John is an entrepreneurial, outside-the-box leader who brings an unparalleled set of skills and experiences to the director of athletics position.”

A pioneer at ESPN, Wildhack was responsible for producing ESPN’s first live regular-season college football game as well as the network’s first live NFL game.

Dino Barbers, the head football coach, was thrilled following this announcement. “I expect John to be a catalyst for much growth and success in the future. I’m eager to welcome someone of his caliber to the Syracuse Athletics team and I am certain we will accomplish great things—both on and off the field.”

Wildhack was selected after a national search and will be introduced to campus in a formal ceremony on July 12, but will officially assume the role in Mid-August. “To say this is a dream job would be a significant understatement,” he said.

Syracuse University