The kissing bench myth debunked

Here’s everything there is to know about one of SU’s signature staples

The “Kissing Bench” has been a landmark on Syracuse University’s campus for over a hundred years. It was donated by the Class of 1912 as a gift to the university.

Since its arrival on campus, the superstition behind the bench has been changing constantly.

In the 1950s, it was believed that, “co-eds would kiss on the bench and hope not to grow old as spinsters.”

However, the myth has changed yet again in 2016. Now, it is believed if you do get kissed by your partner on the bench, you two will get married and live “happily ever after.” However, this does come with a catch – if you sit alone on the bench, you will be alone for life, according to the tale (Note to self: Never sit alone on it).

Although it is unclear how the legend started, it is suspected that a couple got engaged while sitting on it, fueling the rumors and the now-cherished hope of a long, happy marriage if kissed on the bench.

Although the myth itself is a little skeptical to some, many believe in the power of love and romance, and find the kissing bench’s history “adorable.”

“Although I do not necessarily believe in the myth itself, the story behind it is really cute and fascinating,” said freshman Shannon Fullam.

“I find the story of the kissing bench to be intriguing, and I would say I believe in it,” Jessica Beyer, also a freshman, added.

Adding more mystery to the legend, the Kissing Bench may have some secret documents buried under it, including “a copy of the alumni record listing previous SU students, a commencement day program, the SU seal enrobed in orange and old copies of The D.O.” However, the documents were never found, and the validity of these secret documents were never verified all these years later.

For me personally, the kissing bench represents hope. In today’s age of “Netflix and Chill,” Tinder, and random drunken hookups on the regular, the bench represents the power of old-fashioned true love. I find it inspiring and amazing that students today still believe in love, and the kissing bench serves as the perfect symbol of it on campus.

Even 104 years later, the bench is still an important and cherished landmark on the beloved SU campus. Many still hope to bring their boyfriend or girlfriend there, just as SU students did many years ago.

Syracuse University