The ABC’s of Cuse

Attention incoming freshmen: This one’s for you

Acropolis

One of the restaurants on Marshall Street; they serve everything from wings, tenders, pizza, calzones and more. You’ll probably only venture here when you’re smashed from a night out at a frat party or DJ’s, but the food tastes amazing when you’re hammered.

Brewster/Boland/Brockway Halls (BBB)

Arguably the best freshman dorms on campus, BBB is located all the way down on West Campus. Although the location is pretty far from campus, you’re a block away from a Starbucks and a five minute walk from the Dome. BBB is amazing, and you’ll meet so many amazing people who will become your best friends, that is, if you’re lucky enough to live here.

Carrier Dome

You’ll become very familiar with the Dome. Orientation commencement takes place here, as does every football, basketball and lacrosse game (and concerts), which you’ll probably attend most of. When the Dome is packed for a game/concert, the excitement is palpable and the energy is contagious.

Dj’s

The only freshmen bar by campus, DJ’s is the place to be, especially first semester. It’s always packed with ‘Cuse students, along with a few local townspeople. Tip – it’s SWELTERING HOT in DJ’s, so dress prepared. Also, try their rum buckets. AND, you know you’ve gotta get their signature Fishbowl at least once.

Euclid Avenue

You’ll be spending endless nights strolling down Euclid looking for/attending a party. Euclid is home to many off-campus homes, sports team houses and some satellite frat houses.

Food.com

Food.com is Newhouse’s cafe. It serves everything from mock-chipotle, fresh wraps, macaroni and cheese, soups, coffee, smoothies, baked goods and more. It’s a great place to stop between classes to grab a quick bite or study in one of the big booths (if you’re lucky enough to score one).

Garbo’s

Garbo’s is the beauty salon located right off campus. Their services include manicures (both gel and regular), pedicures, waxing, threading, haircuts/blowouts and tanning. Highly recommend.

Hall of Languages

Syracuse University’s signature building. The HOL looks gorgeous in any season, whether covered in snow on a starry night or with colorful fall foliage. It’s right at the center of campus, and you’ll constantly find yourself standing in front to get a good Instagram or Snapchat photo.

Insomnia

Insomnia Cookies is amazing, drunk or sober. And, it’s right on Marshall Street! My recommendation: stop by after DJ’s pick up a box of cookies and split it with you and your drunk pals. #eats

Juice Jam

Juice Jam represents the official kick-off of the school year. It’s a huge concert that takes place on South Campus outside, while the weather’s still warm (ish) and (hopefully) sunny. You’ll get to rock out, get #schwasted and get a taste of music festival life.

or maybe you’ll run into your RA (centered) like me

Kubal

Located in Marshall Square Mall, Cafe Kubal is the perfect study space. The hipster-esque coffee shop has a small-town feel, with cool indie vibes. They have sandwiches, cookies, baked goods and salads. They also make dank iced and hot mochas.

They even make hearts for you!

Library

You’ll become the newest members of Club Bird, my favorite of the two libraries on campus (Carnegie is too quiet for me). You’ll probably attempt to get work done, but then get distracted and scroll up and down your Facebook feed and gossip with your friends, with an iced coffee in hand.

Marshall Street

This one’s obvious, but Marshall Street is THE place to be. It’s basically on campus, and contains a slew of one-of-a-kind eats, the generic fast-food chains and even a shoe store, and it’s also home to DJ’s! It’s the bomb diggity and always packed, 24/7. (But if you go past 2 am, it’ll probably be townspeople).

New York State Fair

Being from Long Island, I’ve never been to a state fair. However, New York’s annual State Fair takes place right here in Syracuse! It’s super fun to go with your new friends/floor-mates and get to know each other. The food is Instagram-worthy and delicious, the rides are extremely fun (except the Gravitron, which I was scared to death of), and the musical performances are exciting to watch (We had Nick Jonas last year). Great bonding experience and is my first memory of ‘Cuse.  Already counting down until next year’s.

Blurry pic but great time

Olympus (As in Mount Olympus)

And no, this is not the one in Greece. I’m referring to The Mount, home to the other two all-freshman dorms, Flint and Day Halls. The Mount steps are a pain to go up, and you’ll probably lose your breath after like 100 out of the approx. 130 steps, but think about how good your butt will look!

People’s Place

Hidden in the basement of Hendrick’s Chapel, People’s Place is the only place on campus that sells Coca-Cola. They’re also known for their $1 coffees and their famous “Austin Powers” drink – a mixture of chocolate milk, coffee and hot chocolate. *mouth starts drooling*

Quad

Once the weather hits above 50, the quad will most likely be packed. It’s a gorgeous view of campus, a peaceful place to study and play frisbee/ball, fun to people-watch – and tons of furry friends (PUPPIES) make appearances.

RA’s

Your RA is here to help you throughout your transition from high school to college, and beyond. I know I can always turn to mine for anything, whether it’s homework help, boy advice or sharing embarrassing stories. LOVE AND RESPECT YOUR RA.

Schine Student Center

Schine Student Center is home to Schine Dining (Pizza, salads, quessadillas and even a Dunkin Donuts), and is a great place to hang out/grab a bite in between classes or get your caffine fix. The Panasci Lounge, located above the food court, is filled with tables, chairs and couches for students to come and go throughout the day.

Tailgates

It’s no doubt ‘Cuse has the best tailgates around. From frat parties to huge ones  in Castle Court, our school is spirited and always looking for an excuse to party, and tailgates are the signature excuse.

University Place

University Place is the main road on campus; it’s where Schine and the HOL are located. You’ll be walking by here everday, and will have the “Walk Sign is On Across University Place” street crossing announcement stuck in your head forever.

Varsity Pizza

Varsity is a town and campus landmark. The decades-old establishment is known for its burgers, salads, wraps, wings and pizzas. The decor is all Syracuse-themed and all fun and spirited. Fun fact- Everytime ‘Cuse wins a home football game, the marching band goes to Varsity and plays for the patrons.

Walnut Ave/Place

Walnut is home to many frats and sororities, including some university buildings including Walnut Hall, The Winnick Hillel Center, the Catholic Center and more. You’ll be spending a lot of time on Walnut, especially for “after hours” parties, which start at 12:30am-1:00am.

Leaving this one blank, because you’ll probs have the occasional black-out and have to fill in the blanks of your memories yourself. #Freshman2016

Yogurt Land (RIP)

YogurtLand was a staple on M-Street until the end of December, when it went out of business. It is missed by many, including me, it’s #1 fan (seriously I love fro-yo. Please come back Yogurtland).

Z89

Z89 is SU’s very own radio station. They have a variety of talk shows and play great music. You most certainly should check it out.

Syracuse University