Guy gets tackled outside Bird Library after trying to steal laptop

DPS were on the scene soon after

DPS officers responded to an attempted robbery in Bird Library on Monday night at around 8:20pm. A man allegedly stole a female student’s laptop and ran outside of Bird on the Waverly side exit with the item where students tackled him to the ground.

Witness Nina Pettinella saw the man and others sprinting outside of Bird on her way to study. She told The Tab, “A boy snatched a girl’s laptop and ran out of the library and then got tackled across the street.”

Some eyewitnesses say the guy was dressed in all black while others say he was wearing jeans and a drug rug. According to students on the scene, the laptop was stolen when the female student allegedly got out of her seat to go to the bathroom. Students claim she noticed and screamed, “he has my laptop,” while the male proceeded to flee the scene.

Eyewitnesses also told The Tab they saw a couple of other students who were in the library run after the male and tackle him on the corner of Waverly and Walnut Pl. At this time, they claimed the male was still clutching the laptop.

Soon after, at least eight DPS cars showed up.

More to follow.

Syracuse University