A recap of the Syracuse Women’s Basketball historic season

THEY MADE HISTORY

The Syracuse Women’s Basketball team made it to the NCAA championship game for the first time in program history. They brought the Orange to Indianapolis and showed ‘Cuse a good time in a spectacular season and March Madness run.

Head coach Quentin Hillsman led the Orange to this historical ending of a season

This season was Coach Q’s 10th season at SU

The season began with the team’s ninth straight victory for the season opener against Rhode Island, 57-54. The team ranked as number 23 at this time.

With the season picking up, the Orange found themselves climbing the rankings and securing many wins that would eventually lead them to the tournament.

On February 1st, they beat Miami 57-51 at Miami

And secured the team’s first win on the road versus a team ranked the same as them since 2014.

They finished the season with 23 season wins

13 of which were conference wins; both numbers being a record for the women.

The Orange entered the ACC tournament as a Number 3 seed

The women beat Louisville and NC State to secure a spot in the ACC Final versus Notre Dame

They went on to lose to Notre Dame in the ACC Final 57-68

From here, the NCAA Tournament began

At this time, the Orange ranked 14 nationally, a school record.

The began the tourney, hosting Army in the Dome

This was the first time in program history that the women hosted in the NCAA tourney.

They went on to beat Army 73-56 and then U of Albany 76-59

From here they moved into the Sweet 16. Each point in the team’s tournament run from here on out was historical in the Orange’s history as it was their first appearance in these rounds of the March Madness tourney.

They then went on to beat South Carolina 80-72 to secure their spot in the Elite 8

Beating Tennessee 89-67 left the ‘Cuse still dancing

They then headed to Indianapolis for the Final Four.

The SU community sent both the women and mens team off to their Final Four runs in a pep rally

They beat Washington 80-59 in their Final Four matchup in Indianapolis

The Orange played UConn in the NCAA Championship game

UConn took the win in a 51-82 game.

With a historical season that ended with the Orange making an appearance in the NCAA Championship game; the Orange have really paved the road for future success within the program.

They put the Orange on the map and gave us all another reason to BLEED ORANGE.

Syracuse University