Here’s what you missed this week at Cuse

It’s been a long week

We may have ended the week with the men’s basketball team losing to UNC and a few inches of snow, but its always a great day to be an Orangeman.

#TBTNSU 

On Wednesday night, SU students gathered in Hendricks for a rally to emphasize the importance of spreading the knowledge of sexual and relationship violence on college campuses and beyond. This event is held annually and coordinated by student volunteers with the Office of Health Promotion. The event included a rally, march and speak-out to unite the community.

POTUS speaks at a Newhouse event in DC

President Barack Obama spoke at an event in DC for the Toner Prize for political reporting awarded by the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

At this event, he urged journalists to deliver the facts in political reporting and emphasized the impact that journalists can have on politics.

The 44th president of the US also gave a shoutout to ‘Cuse basketball in his keynote address.

Hilary Clinton went to Varsity

It is indeed never a dull day on the Mount. Hilary Clinton made an appearance at Varsity before her rally at the F-shed as a part of her campaign.

Clinton was in New York in preparation for the New York primary which is on Tuesday, April 19th.

She was greeted by many smiling faces as she enjoyed her lunch.

Fabolous performed in Schine

Rapper, Fabolous and D.J. Premier performed on Friday night in Schine. The event was organized as a part of Greek Unity Fest.

MARCH MADNESS

With both the men’s and women’s teams advancing to the Final Four, the Hill was abuzz with Orange Pride as the SU community prepared for a weekend of nail-biting basketball.

SU Student Association sent busses to Houston

The Student Association sent four busses to Houston. When the e-mail was sent out on Tuesday, students took to Schine to camp out for tickets which were available at Schine Box Office at 10:30am the next morning.

At first they had scheduled to send three busses to Houston. In accordance with the overwhelming interest, they ended up adding a fourth bus.

The bus trip left on Thursday night and after upwards of 32 hours, finally got to Houston in time for the game on Saturday (a tough loss).

For those students who braved the 30 plus hour drive to Houston.

And they sent a bus to Indianapolis…

After shown interest of student wanting to go to Indianapolis to watch the SU Women’s team, the Student Association arranged to have a bus sent to Indianapolis.

The bus left Saturday morning for the Sunday night game.

There was a pep rally

On Wednesday afternoon, there was a pep rally in Manley Field House to send both the women’s and men’s teams of to their Final Four games. Many members of the Syracuse community came decked out in orange  for the event.

The pep rally included short speeches from Coach Hillsman, Coach Boeheim, Brittney Sykes of the women’s team and Trevor Cooney of the men’s team.

New York State Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul, Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney, and Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner, Director of Athletics Mark Coyle; and Matt Park also offered words of encouragement.

The men’s basketball team boarded their bus after the pep rally to head to the airport.

SU Men’s Basketball vs. UNC

The Tailgate:

Students flooded Castle Court on Saturday afternoon to celebrate the Final Four game to be played later that evening.

The Game:

The men’s team fell to #1 UNC in a 83-66 game on Saturday night to end their March Madness run.

This team had made it a lot farther than critics and many alike had expected, and their presence in the Final Four was fun for both ‘Cuse fans and basketball fanatics alike.

SU Women’s Basketball VS. Washington

WE ARE ADVANCING TO THE NCAA TITLE GAME!

The Orange will play again on Tuesday for the National Championship after their 80-59 win vs. Washington on Sunday night.

This is the first appearance at the National Championship EVER for the SU Women’s team. This is definitely something to celebrate!

Can you say… GO ORANGE!!!

It snowed

It snowed a few inches overnight from Saturday in Sunday, following the men’s team loss to UNC. This made it a tough Sunday morning for Orange nation, but as always; we have a lot to smile about!

(like the women’s team winning, having both teams advance to the Final Four in the first place and the Block Party performer announcement by UU… I mean we can pretend that this makes up for snow in April… right?)

We April fooled you into thinking The Chainsmokers were coming to Mayfest

And it turns out we predicted the future and they actually are

UU Announced The Chainsmokers and Chance the Rapper for Block Party!!

YESSSS CUSE!!!!!!!!

Tickets go on sale Monday morning at 10:00 A.M. on http://ticketmaster.com!

Well, thats it for now, ‘Cuse!

GO ORANGE!

Syracuse University