Dear future ‘Cuse freshmen

From a current freshie to a future freshie

Dear future freshmen,

I’m totally aware that there are countless advice articles out there that will guide you through college. But I’m not about to tell you how to avoid the “freshman 15” or how to handle your roomie.

Instead, think of this as a short guide to handling different problems you’ll face in your new environment.

Talk to an adult once in a while

When homesick, the comfort of an adult  with much more life experience is the cure. If you can’t find an older adult to talk to, make friends with older students. Chances are,the situation you are facing  is common and they can help you.

If you’re lucky, they may cook for you.

I got real food from my older friends, may never eat at Graham again

Don’t be afraid to reach out

We build up such high anxiety over simple things like sending a text. Whether it be to someone we like, or asking a new classmate if they want hangout, we can’t help but wonder what the other person is thinking in response.But hey, even  if you don’t get the reply you want, at least you can say you  tried.

Go to a party and just dance

I agree, drinking can add to the party experience but enjoy just being there. You can have fun at a party without alcohol. The company of your friends and dancing  can still lead to a great night.

Tell yourself that being alone is not the same thing as being lonely

Initially , you may feel that every moment you are alone, you’re miss an opportunity to be social. You may be missing something crazy happening in the lounge but so what? Everybody needs time to themselves. So take a nap, catch up on Netflix, or read a book by yourself, you’ll have plenty of time to socialize in college.

Woke up from a nap to this… I really missed out.

Volunteer off campus

There is a whole community outside Syracuse that we are often un-exposed to. When you volunteer off campus, you’ll find that the community is filled with friendly people who need help. People study abroad to gain exposure to the world and that’s great, but get familiar with the people around you. If all you know is the students on campus, you may be very one – sided about the people in general.

You may get a free t-shirt, FREE

Go to the gym

Just do it. Archbold is open till 1am, so  you have no excuses.

A quick run or a free Monday yoga class really does help clean out the mind. In fact, I find myself pigging out, tired, and unwilling to do anything on the days I don’t go to the gym. That sluggish feeling sucks.I promise you and your body will be happy if you gym.

Lastly, appreciate the Syracuse Campus

On your walk to class, remind yourself about what brought you to Syracuse and what’s keeping you here. I swear, this builds up the motivation to work hard. Also, the campus really is gorgeous, and we often forget how lucky we are to be here.

Sincerely,

A proud SU student.

P.S  If you needed advice on handling the snow here, stay warm!

Syracuse University