The guide to surviving sorority rush

Honestly, the only thing to survive is the weather

Everyone’s favorite time of the year has arrived: Spring Rush.

With it usually comes a lot of stress, especially for the girls rushing. Luckily, there’s nothing to be stressed about, and we’ve got some tips to make the process easier.

Read the Guidebook

You’ll be given a guidebook before rush starts, and it will hold everything you need to know, from which philanthropy a sorority supports, to how much dues typically are. It will save you some questions, so you can spend more time talking to the girls you’ll meet during rush.

Come in with an open mind

Be willing to get to know more about all of SU’s twelve sororities. If you come in with your heart set on one sorority and one sorority only, the process won’t be as fun. That one sorority also might not be the best fit for you.

To get the most out of rush, be open to all of the sororities, and you’ll end up at the best place for you.

Give yourself plenty of time

Rush can start early in the morning, especially for a weekend morning. Make sure you get up with plenty of time to get ready so you aren’t running around getting your things together, or barely making it to your classroom on time.

If you start your day relaxed and slow, you’ll feel a lot better going in to the day.

Bring things to do

You’ll have breaks each day, and as the rounds go on the breaks will get longer and longer. Homework is a good thing to bring, so after the day is over you won’t have to go back and focus on schoolwork. Bring snacks as well, in case you get hungry.

To freshen yourself up through out the day, things like chapstick, mints, and deodorant can also come in handy.

Wear comfortable clothes

This means both clothes that are comfortable, and clothes you are comfortable wearing. There’s no need to “dress like a sorority girl”. Dress like yourself.

A sorority is a sisterhood that will accept who you are no matter what, so you should go through rush as exactly who you are.

Dress for the weather

It’s winter in Syracuse. Though it’s been unusually warm so far, winter weather has come, and frostbite is something you’ll want to avoid. Wear snow boots, wear your huge puffy jacket, whatever you need to stay warm.

You’ll take your jacket off inside the house, and if snow boots absolutely ruin your outfit, you can change shoes just before you go in the house. We’ve even had rush during a blizzard, so make sure that you can survive whatever weather Syracuse will throw at you that day.

Trust your Rho Gammas

They are basically all-knowing, impartial, big sisters. If you need advice or answers, they have both. Don’t be afraid to talk to them. They have experienced both sides of rushing, and give great advice.

Trust the process

It might be long, and it might be stressful, but you will find your place. And when you do, it’s truly going to make college the best for years of your life.

Syracuse University