Here’s all the crime that happened this semester at SU

Crimes ranged from homicide to robberies

It’s not a secret we attend a university surrounded by a city where criminal activity takes place daily. We live in a bubble and sometimes the crime slips in causes our campus to be affected.

This past semester crimes affected both the campus and local community ranging from homicide, sexual assaults, robberies and more. Students, staff and faculty were all hindered in some way, shape or form by these criminal acts.

The Tab went back and compiled the crimes that occurred throughout the semester.

Forcible touching

When: Sunday, 8/30 at  2 AM

Where: 800 block of Walnut Ave., between Marshall St. and E. Adams St.

What went down: A female student was walking alone when the suspect walked behind her and grabbed her butt and private areas. The suspect then fled the scene.

Bicycle theft

When: Email sent on 9/4

Where: Campus

What went down: “Several bicycle thefts have occurred on campus in recent weeks.”

Off-campus burglaries

When: Email sent on 9/8

Where: Off-campus apartments very close to campus

What went down: Suspects entered these apartments via unlocked doors, stealing items such as electronics.

Robbery

When: 9/12, 7:30-9:30 PM

Where: Remington Gardens, Clarendon Heights and Hidden Valley Apartments (near South Campus)

What went down: Students living in these areas were waiting by the bus stop when a suspect asked them for money. When the students took out their wallets/money, the suspect grabbed their money and ran.

Off-campus residential armed robbery

When: 10/7 approx. 11:25 PM

Where: 200 Block of Ostrom Ave

What went down: Three students reported they heard a knock on their front door, opened it, and two males wearing surgical masks pushed into the apartment. The suspects both had handguns and knives in their hands and demanded the victims’ car keys, wallets and phones and then fled the scene.

Attempted strong armed robbery 

When: 10/9 approx. 10:00 PM

Where: 401 Skytop Road (South Campus Express Store)

What went down: An employee reported an unknown male walked into the store wearing a ski mask and demanded the employee open the cash register. The man ended up fleeing the scene.

< style=”border: 1px solid black”img class=”alignnone wp-image-2997 size-full” src=”https://media.thetab.com/blogs.dir/99/files/2015/12/images.jpg” alt=”images” width=”253″ height=”199″ />

Homicide 

When: 10/14 8:30-10:30

Where: 148 Hope Avenue the proceeded to Oakwood Cemetery (right by Flint and Day Halls)

What went down:  A shooting took place at 148 Hope Avenue just two miles from campus. The crime left a 15 year old male dead and a 17 year old male injured after getting shot in the leg. The suspects were seen near Oakwood Cemetery where police searched the area and an Orange Alert was issued for everyone to stay inside, wherever they were. Some were stuck taking their midterms, others were stuck in university buildings, local restaurants and dorms. The Orange Alert was lifted after nearly two hours of searching. One suspect has been taken into custody, but two other suspects are still at large.

Off-campus attempted strong armed robbery 

When: 10/23, approx. 7 PM

Where: 700 Block of  Lancaster Ave

What went down: A student reported he was walking alone when four unknown males on bicycles approached him from behind. One of the culprits attempted to grab the student’s phone out of his hand. The student was then punched and fell to the ground. The suspects then fled.

Two off-campus sexual assaults

When: 10/25, approx. 1:00 AM; 10/25 approx. 1:30

Where: 700 block of South Crouse Ave & 700 Block of Euclid Ave

What went down: Two female students reported a male came up from behind them and forcibly touched them in their private areas. Both suspects fled the scenes and both assaults seemed to have been committed by two different males. One of the victims sustained a bloody lip and black eye after the suspect struck her with his elbow. These two events caused uproar from students.

Yik Yak threat 

When: 10/28

Where: On the social media app Yik Yak

What went down: Threats posed anonymously on the app. The individual was later identified as a former Syracuse University student who was then tracked down and arrested.

Off-campus strong armed robbery

When: 10/29, 8:30 AM

Where: 1000 Block of Comstock Ave

What went down: A student reported when she was walking alone, an unknown male approached her from behind and grabbed her backpack and fled the scene.

Robbery and stabbing

When: 12/14, approx. 6:12 AM

Where: 417 Comstock Ave (Park Point Apartments)

What went down: A student reported an unknown male entered their apartment through an unlocked window. The student woke up and confronted the suspect, who then assaulted the student with a knife, sustaining a non-life threatening injury. The suspect was last seen running towards Thorden Park.

Syracuse University