Jim Boeheim will be suspended for nine Syracuse basketball games

The NCAA upheld their decision

In March, the Syracuse basketball team came under scrutiny with the athletic department who found violations of the university’s drug testing policy, academic misconduct, and extra benefits.

Not only was the decision upheld by the NCAA to vacate all Syracuse men’s basketball wins from 2004 to 2012 in which an ineligible player participated, but Jim Boeheim was suspended from nine games, initially beginning from the start of the Atlantic Coast Conference play this month.

Two weeks after the university received the initial infractions report in March, Boeheim appealed the ruling.

A reaction from the Committee of Infractions did not come until May 28, and Boeheim was not able to go before the appeals committee until October 5.

Today, the NCAA has upheld the decision of Boeheim’s nine-game suspension. But it did agree to move the ban to the non-conference season.

Coach will begin serving this suspension at midnight before Saturday’s game against Georgetown.

Under the harsh rules of the suspension, Boeheim can have no contact with his team.

This means no text messages, e-mails, travel – not even soup cans tied to strings.

A while ago, Boeheim signed a contract agreeing to be featured on TV and radio shows, now he cannot partake.

Thursday and Friday will cover his last official duties to the team until North Carolina comes to the Dome on January 9.

In the head coach’s absence, associate head coach Mike Hopkins will take over.

Regardless of how harsh the initial sanction imposed on Coach Boeheim might have been, we can’t stop rooting for Orange.

Syracuse University