Should we have mandatory consent classes at Syracuse?

Let’s talk about sex, baby

With rape and sexual assaults running rampant in campus culture, is it time for universities to take a stand?

About two weeks ago, George Lawlor wrote a story for The Tab in the UK which focused on the heated debate on whether or not universities should offer sexual consent classes.  Lawlor argued against these consent classes, saying he didn’t need to be taught how not to be a rapist.

Soon, his story went viral and thousands of others joined in on the conversation, both agreeing and disagreeing with Lawlor.  Not soon after, BuzzFeed picked up the story.

With the article and multiple arguments now viral across the web, I decided to do a little investigating on my own campus and get the thoughts of males and females of different ages.

Anil, Freshman, International Relations

“I think there should be something that addresses consent, perhaps mandatory monthly, short meetings, but not a class.”

Esteban, Junior, Anthropology and International Relations

“Yes, sexual consent classes should be a requirement for SU students.  It’s important for the entire campus community to have this information.”

Maia, Freshman, Social Work

“It shouldn’t be mandatory: more focus should be placed on alcohol and drug use. Although we had a seminar in the beginning of the year, I feel as though the topic of sexual consent needs to be taken more seriously.  It isn’t a joking matter.”

Tyler, Sophomore, Acting

“It should be mandatory, because you’ve got lots of different people coming from lots of different places to live together on a college campus.”

“It’s a big issue in the nation and I think that it’s possible for anyone to be taken advantage of and it’s possible for anyone to be an aggressor in a situation with or without knowing.”

“I think the difference between knowing and supplying that information makes all the difference in lots of different lives.  Hearing the information, just once, can change the outcome for anyone.”

Justin, Senior, Political Science

“I think a better class should be about alcohol and drugs that abuse sexual misconduct. Personally, I can’t say whether or not it’s a good idea, but the biggest thing is that a lot of people don’t report it.”

Carina, Freshman, Undeclared

“I don’t know if a class should be required, but I do think that at the beginning of the year, there should be a seminar that discusses the importance of consent.”

Cam, Freshman, Mechanical Engineering

“I think there should be a bimonthly discussion forum for students to attend to discuss rape culture and consent.”

Shannon, Freshman, Music and Entertainment Industries

“I don’t think a class is necessary; the university already requires students to attend a forum during orientation and complete an online information course, and there’s only so much that could be covered.”

Syracuse University