Violating Stanford’s hard liquor ban ‘could result in removal from University housing’

Brock Turner blamed his crime on party culture

Stanford have banned hard liquor from undergraduate on-campus parties, the University announced on Monday.

Acccording to CNN, students are no longer allowed to serve alcohol that is 40 proof or higher at on-campus parties. Stanford has also prohibited students in university housing from having hard liquor bottles larger than 750 milliliters.

Graduate students are still allowed to serve hard liquor in the form of mixed drinks, but straight shots are not allowed at any party.

Beer and wine can still be consumed at on-campus events.

According to Stanford University, violation of this policy will result in administrative action and could “result in removal from university housing.”

Vice provost of student affairs, Greg Boardman, urges students to not try to find a way around the new policy and instead work together to create a safer community. He wrote: “We must create a campus community that allows for alcohol to be a part of the social lives of some of our students, but not to define the social and communal lives of all of our students.”

This new hard liquor policy comes in the wake of the Brock Turner sexual assault case. During the trial Turner blamed his crime on drinking.

Turner said: “I’ve been shattered by the party culture and risk taking behavior that I briefly experienced in my four months at school.”

Many Stanford students and professors are outraged by the new alcohol policy, specifically because it comes in the wake of the Brock Turner case. Two Stanford professors took to Twitter to express their frustration.

“Alcohol must be in bottle small enough so you can use it ‘secretly’ so @Stanford isn’t blamed when you rape someone.” Michele Dauber tweeted.

“#Stanford: not solving the problem, but solving a problem that, when you squint, is sorta kinda next to that problem.” Adrian Daub tweeted.

Student’s thoughts on the hard alcohol ban were heard in April when according to Stanford’s student newspaper, 91 percent of students voted against the ban.

Many other universities such as, Notre Dame, Dartmouth, U.Va,. and Colby, have previously restricted liquor on campus.

Stanford University