I asked 5 Points staff what they want USC students to know

Don’t ask for a strong drink unless you want a weak drink

5 Points, a magical land where alcohol is plentiful, loud boys are drowned out by loud music, sorority girls are a staple, and none of the mess is yours to clean up.

It is in this playground that us USC students can enjoy ourselves, dance off the stress, and enjoy a few drinks. However, we have started to take advantage of our beloved 5 points, turning it into a zoo and us the deranged animals. Maybe it’s the increase in binge alcohol culture or the increase in hard party drugs, but the havoc wreaked on 5 points in recent months has been alarming. In fact, this is why SLEDs presence has been more prevalent and the bars have become stricter in general.

The first week of school there was over $30,000 worth of property damage in and around 5 points. We need to real in our crazy ways if we want to preserve 5 points for the future.

To achieve this, there must be some guidelines reviewed as far as bar etiquette. I spoke with a few bouncers and bartenders at 5 points and drafted up a few key points to keep in mind while you’re dancing until 4 am.

Tip the staff for putting up with you

Seriously, this was the first thing every bartender and bouncer said. For the amount of crap that the staff must tolerate working at 5 points, the least you could do it tip a dollar on your round of drinks. These employees make minimum wage, deal with drunk idiots, work until 5 am, and many are full time students as well. Please show some empathy and consideration for how hard they are working.

Buy rounds of drinks so that your tips are more legitimate

Stop buying one drink at a time. You have friends right? Pool your money, buy a round of drinks, and then TIP off of that purchase. That way, the bartender can be more efficient, and you can more easily justifying tipping a dollar off of a seven-dollar tab rather than a dollar for a dollar drink. Many of us are business majors at USC, so just think of it as stream lining the system. Eliminating waste. MUDA. However you need to think about this to remember. Fun fact: bartenders will often cut the price of a large round of drinks anyways. DON’T FORGET TO TIP

The bartenders don’t care that you want a strong drink. Order a double and shut up.

Understand that even your drunk ass can find a trash can

At Cotton Gin there are over 70 trash cans. Next time you’re downtown, pay attention to just HOW MANY trash cans there are.

Do not haggle for a cheaper drink

Pay the price for your drinks. Liquor in 5 points is notoriously cheap, if you try to haggle the price down further that is not only annoying, but fruitless.

DO NOT DESTROY THINGS

If something is destroyed (like the bathroom) tell someone at the bar so they can fix it! (I am talking to you, frat boys.)

Stop spitting on the ground

Please.

Don’t get pissed off at the staff

They are sober, working, and dealing with your shit.

5 Points is hectic, so listen when a bouncer tells you to move

If they tell you to walk down the steps, just do it. Don’t ask for a reason, don’t ask for “a minute.” They need to you to do what they are telling you. Again, they are sober and you most likely are not, trust that they are there to help you.

If a guy is being creepy, please tell someone

The staff will get him out of your hair and out of the bar. It will be a favor for everyone, because you’re probably not the first person he has annoyed, and it gives the staff the perfect reason to get rid of someone they probably didn’t like in the first place.

Respect the cops and they will respect you

The cops that work downtown are not there to harm you. SLED and the police downtown are two different stories. The police will genuinely help you if you need it. Respect them and they will respect you. They are there to keep you safe, trust this. Many cops have even given rides to students that have asked because they couldn’t find another way home. It is also a far better alternative to walking home alone.

Know that we are lucky to have a place like 5 Points

Have fun, stay safe and stay aware.

University of South Carolina