Most news organizations are biased, but WikiLeaks is on a whole different level

To learn about a candidate, read their policies on their website

This has to be one of the most controversial presidential elections in United States history, and because of this, I am a firm believer that every single vote counts. Whichever candidate becomes our next president will have a huge influence in the direction our country takes, and this all begins with us.

Because of this, it is important everyone educate themselves on these candidates and pick the one they truly believe is best for the job. While I am also a firm believer in educating oneself from all perspectives, there is one perspective I do not believe people should be educating themselves from: WikiLeaks.

Many millennials, and Americans in general, are still on the fence about who to vote for. They are reading tons of articles every day from a million different sources. Of course, there are biased sources – some more than others – but I have a strong problem with WikiLeaks. The amount of bias this non-profit organization has shown is remarkable. It is clear the site is against Hillary Clinton and her campaign.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when you claim to be doing a “public service” you must do it on both sides.

WikiLeaks has leaked countless emails from Clinton’s private email account and from her campaign manager – illegally I might add. I am in no way justifying any of Clinton’s actions; I just believe in fairness. I am sure if WikiLeaks can hack Clinton’s emails they can also hack Donald Trump’s. However, WikiLeaks has not leaked a single bit of information on Trump.

Granted, the media has done a pretty good job on leaking information about Trump without the help of WikiLeaks, but before this election I truly believed WikiLeaks was a great website that kept the world somewhat honest – I now realize it has only made it halfway.

If you are still trying to decide who to vote for, go for the facts first. The best place to learn about a candidate is by reading their policies on their websites. Find out what they believe in and decide if that is what you believe in too. News organizations are the next best thing, but read all of them from CNN to Fox News to MSNBC. They all have a slight bit of bias, so that way you can get a feel from all sides. Get educated and go out and vote because I promise it matters.

University of South Carolina