#MeToo Movement Founder Tarana Burke is Coming to Rutgers

Admission is free

Tarana Burke, the founder of the #MeToo campaign, will be speaking at the Rutgers Busch Student Center at 8 p.m. on February 12.

Students are required to obtain a wristband before the event begins. Wrist banding will start an 6:30 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. The event is hosted by the Division of Student Affairs and the campaign to End Sexual Violence.

Beginning with the origins of the movement, to why sexual violence holds a massive presence in our culture, Burke will share her experiences while expressing how to take action, just as she did.

The first #MeToo tweet was not made by Burke, but by actress and activist Alyssa Milano. Soon after, the replies overflowed with stories of those who had been sexually assaulted. The Twitter moments page featured a story dedicated to the hashtag.

Over the past few months, the topic of sexual violence in the entertainment industry has been prevalent across all forms of media. Harvey Weinstein's accusers resurfaced a conversation that has popped its head out from underwater countless times in the past. Now, from treading water to fully floating, the dialogue has not left the media since. Actors, actresses, musicians, and everyday survivors have spoken up, making it clear sexual assault has no place in the industries creating our culture.

Burke's life mission is to keep the dialogue floating, and address the problems in the culture running sexual violence; a culture society has created, and must now tear down.

You can learn more about Tarana Burke and her movement here.

Rutgers University