Rutgers alum killed in NYC attack yesterday

Darren Drake was one of eight named victims of the Manhattan attack

The Rutgers community was informed of the loss of alumnus Darren Drake in an email sent by Chancellor Deba Dutta this evening. Drake reportedly was killed in the Lower Manhattan attack yesterday.

According to the email sent by Chancellor Dutta, Drake graduated from Rutgers College in 2007. He went on to earn a master’s degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University and was in the process of pursuing a second master’s from Steven’s Institute of Technology at the time of his death.

During his professional career, Drake served as both president and vice president on the New Milford Board of Education and was a project manager for Moody’s Investors Services at the World Trade Center, Dutta reports.

Yesterday’s attack was carried out by Sayfullo Saipov, 29, who drove a rented truck through a bike path in Lower Manhattan, NJ.com reported.

Drake was one of 8 victims who lost their lives yesterday.

According to the Washington Post, “Five of the victims were longtime friends from Argentina, visiting the United States together to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their high school graduation. Another was from Belgium, a mother of two young children. A young New Yorker, Nicholas Cleves, also was killed.”

In his email to the Rutgers community, Chancellor Dutta expressed condolences for the senseless killing of the Rutgers alumnus.

“On behalf of the entire Rutgers community, I want to express our heartfelt condolences to Darren’s family and his friends who knew him here at Rutgers. I ask that you keep Darren’s parents foremost in your thoughts and prayers,” he writes.

Rutgers University