RU is increasing tuition again, because why not I guess?

It’s only going to affect in-state students

Rutgers is planning to hike tuition yet again for in-state students

For the past three years, Rutgers has increased tuition and mandatory fees for  in-state students by 2.1 percent. For the coming 2017-2018 school year, the fee increase is lower, at 1.85 percent for undergraduate in-state students.

“Public colleges and universities across the country are facing significant financial challenges,” said Robert Barchi, university president. “I am proud that Rutgers has been able to keep these cost increases to a minimum while continuing its commitment to teaching, research, and service.”

According to Rutgers Today, a full-time Arts and Sciences undergraduate at New Brunswick will now pay $14,638 tuition and for students living on campus, the cost of attendance will increase to $27,090, up 1.7 percent from last year.

The rates will shift by “similar percentages”  for students at Camden and Newark to $14,501 and $14,085 for tuition respectively.

.

“Rutgers is committed to providing our students with the highest quality education,” said Sandy J. Stewart, chair of the Board of Governors. “Once again the university has been able to keep tuition and fee increases to a minimum while maintaining the top academic programs that Rutgers offers to New Jersey’s brightest students.”

This fee increase comes at a time where the Rutgers University Student Assembly is fighting for representation in the Rutgers Board of Governors. There is a bill being sponsored by Assemblywoman Nancy J. Pinkin (D-18) and Assemblywoman Mila M. Jasey (D-27) that “[urges] the Board of Governors of Rutgers, the State University, to appoint a voting student representative to the board. It was introduced in the state legislature early June.

At this point in time, the Rutgers University Student Assembly has not been able to get the two requested representatives of the NJ Governor Board. One of which would be a voting member.

Evan Covello, the RUSA president said: “This is one of the hardest issues that we have tried to tackle at Rutgers. I want to say to every student and every family in the Rutgers Community that while the Board of Governors is the governing body that increased tuition and should be held accountable to that, it is the State of New Jersey that has also turned its back to this problem.

“If the state did its part, I fully believe that a tuition freeze would not be out of the question. This tuition hike should be a wake up call to everyone that they must vote in the 2017 Gubernatorial Election. When it comes to a monumental issue such as the cost of higher education, we need the leadership that has the back of our students in order to make a change. Without that, the problem will not be fixed.

“As a student government, we are going to do everything in our power to support our student body and work to make Rutgers more affordable. Now more than ever, we need the members of our community to stand up and make their voice heard, because a Rutgers education needs to be accessible to everyone.”

Rutgers University Hide Images