I went on a date by myself for Valentine’s Day and it didn’t completely suck

Okay technically it was the day after

In the sad timeline that is my life, I’ve never had a Valentine’s Day date. Past Valentine’s Days have either been spent with my own company, my family, getting obligatory Valentines from classmates in elementary school, or telling creeps in high school to leave me alone. And on years when I did have a Valentine, I still wasn’t allowed to actually “go out on a date” so the most I could get was being serenaded in the hallways and given a bag of leftover Halloween candy.

This year I finally have a bae, but he goes to a school that’s 3 and a half hours away, making meeting up for a date kind of difficult. So when the opportunity to write a story about going on a date by myself, I immediately volunteered, because truthfully, how hard could it be? I’m a loner by nature and have done crazier things, so I had no fear. Besides, we all need a little self-love every now and then.

In reality, I ended up spending just about my entire actual Valentine’s Day at work at a local restaurant. It felt like those melodramatic moments in movies where dates are continuously postponed because of the one workaholic in the relationship.

But as soon as I woke up February 15th, I beat my face, put on the cutest outfit I could find, and walked out the door ready to conquer the day after the most romantic day of the year.

Serving up looks

Now, I consider myself pretty simple – I like long walks on the beach and things like that. But seeing that it’s February and brick outside I was going to have to go with the second best option and something I never got to experience as a teen – the mall date. It has everything a girl could want – food and shopping.

Flowers for me

After buying myself a pretty rose at a grocery store, I went straight to the mall. When I got inside, I was ready. I thought about romantic shit you could do at the mall, and the first thing that came to mind was Victoria’s Secret. Couples buy lingerie together, right? Well, being on a date with me, myself, and I, I decided we were going to shop for lingerie.

Lingerie 

Just like I would on any other shopping day, I browsed the racks of lace bralettes, 5 for $27.50 panties, and PINK emblazoned everything. The only difference was that instead of looking like a bum, I had perfect hair and makeup, and a cute outfit to match. I looked for whatever was cheapest and walked away with some pretty little things. What I bought in between me and Victoria.

I wish my butt looked as good as that mannequin’s

Spent all my money at the mall

Afterward, I walked around the mall doing some shopping. I bought a couple tops that were on clearance. I spotted many couples canoodling on benches and behind racks of clothes. I silently judged a little until I realized I was on a date…alone. Time for food. After realizing I didn’t have enough money to tip, let alone eat at the dine-in restaurants connected to the mall, I decided to I’d have to settle for the food court.

Me waiting for this day to be over

I’m a cheap date

I bought myself a lemonade, and bacon and cheese fries to settle my hunger, with the $13 on my debit card.

I wasn’t really ashamed or embarrassed by my situation since I was sitting among people who were focused on their own business. And even if I was a party of one at one of the fancier places, my experience as a hostess assured me that the restaurant staff would have been too busy with the other parties waiting to care or judge me.

After scarfing down my fries and realizing I had no money left, I headed home. Being alone and broke the day after Valentine’s Day actually wasn’t too bad. Honestly, it was more a date with myself rather being by myself. At the end of the day, I’m one of my favorite people, so it wasn’t so bad.

Rutgers University