We asked Rutgers whether you get free tuition if you get hit by a campus bus

Putting the myth to bed once and for all

You may have heard your fellow peers say something along the lines of “I kind of want this bus to hit me so Rutgers can pay my tuition,” in the hopes of making a dent in what seems like a never-ending pile of student loans and financial burden. But is this true? If one of us gets hit by a Rutgers bus and lives to tell about it, would we get some sort of financial compensation?

So, before a student takes it too far and actually takes a leap of faith in front of some poor bus driver, we decided to check the facts.

We asked transportation services Senior Director Jack E. Molenaar about what Rutgers would do under such a circumstance. His answer was short and simple.

“Not a policy of Rutgers University,” he said.

A moment of silence for this now nonsensical joke, please.

Be careful out there

Whether this is because the blame falls elsewhere or there’s some kind of loophole, we don’t know.

Back in 2012, when a  student was hit by a Rutgers police vehicle, the university simply stayed silent. Not much information can be found to this day about a punishment for the officer or reward for the student. Perhaps there’s no such policy for any Rutgers-owned vehicles.

Rutgers apparently has its own methods for dealing with these sorts of situations, it just doesn’t include free tuition.

Don’t everyone revolt at once, this is the just reality. Yes, it’s hard to not be disappointed when your backup plan for getting through school just disappears in front of you, but either way, it wasn’t worth it. We’ll just have to find another way to avoid our student debt.

Rutgers University