‘This is just about basic human rights’: We spoke to Rutgers students marching on College Ave

‘It seems to me that this ban is based on implicit racism in the United States’

On Tuesday, January 31, hundreds of people within the Rutgers community came together in solidarity in response to President Trump’s executive order, which primarily targets people of Muslim faith and refugees. At Rutgers University alone, over 8000 students practice the Muslim faith.

“It seems to me that this ban is based on implicit racism in the United States, and it has just been manifested into law,” Daisy Lee, a senior at the rally, said. As the travel ban took effect, hundreds of Muslim immigrants, refugees, and green-card holders were denied entry in airports from coast to coast. The Customs and Border Protection briefing today also confirmed that 721 people had been denied boarding for the U.S.

“This is a great time to make people realize that people being exiled from their homes based on national origin, ethnicity, religion is not something new and we want to unify as many organizations as possible on campus,” Duaa Abdulla, President of Students for Justice in Palestine at Rutgers, said.

In midst of this confusion and injustice, Rutgers students, faculty, and alumni gathered together outside Brower steps to protest President Trump’s executive order and to show support to all those who are affected. “An injury to one is an injury to all, and this is what the student body who are being threatened right now, and failure to stand with them is a failure to justice,” Mariah Wood, a member of the United Students Against Sweatshops organization, said.

Jisa Ahmed, a senior, added, “This is just about basic human rights that are in danger right now and we are just trying to bring peace without discrimination.”

The solidarity march leaders made three demands: for Rutgers to refuse to cooperate with “registration” systems that seek to target Muslim students or faculty, to reaffirm the sanctuary status of Rutgers and to provide legal assistance to students unable to attain entry into the country; and for President Barchi to publicly condemn the executive order.

Many questioned if President Barchi would be present. However, he did make an appearance to say, “the apparent way in which this act singles out a single group of individuals who hold dear to the Muslim faith – that is contrary to everything that we believe in as individuals.” He further ensured that the university is committed to providing the protection and rights that everyone deserves. “We are doing everything we can to reach out to those individuals who find themselves stranded abroad and to use what legal [and] political connections we have to make sure that they come home and that they are protected,” President Barchi said.

Following speakers that included representations from Muslim student organizations, immigrant advocates, and assemblymen among others, the protesters began their march down College Avenue to Olde Queens shouting chants like, “Muslim rights are human rights!” and “No ban! No wall!” The march concluded at around 7:30 p.m. at the Rutgers Muslim Chaplain.

Rutgers University