Starbucks at The Yard suddenly closes

At least it lasted longer than The Alley

After being open for only a month and a half, the long awaited Starbucks at the The Yard on College Avenue suddenly closed on January 20. A sign that says “Sorry, we are closed” is now stuck on the doors.

A Starbucks corporate representative confirmed the closing in a statement to The Daily Targum but assured that it was for good reason: “As part of Starbucks’ standard course of business, we continually review and evaluate our locations to ensure a healthy store portfolio. We will continue to serve the Rutgers community and encourage our customers to visit us at our other locations in the area.”

According to Christopher Paladino, President of DEVCO (New Brunswick Development Corporation), the non-profit company behind the creation of The Yard, there was no prior notice given by Starbucks in regards to the sudden closing. “Apparently Starbucks has revoked the operator’s license due to contractual issues,” he said.

He expressed hope that a reopening would be on its way: “We are working with Starbucks to expedite the reopening of the store at The Yard under new management. Both DEVCO and Starbucks corporate are confident that we will be successful.”

Until then, coffee lovers will just have to hack Starbucks at Rutgers at the three other locations around campus.

Rutgers University