According to RU spokeswoman we can’t have Ellen as this year’s commencement speaker

Why Rutgers, why?

#WeWantEllen, but we won’t be getting her, according to RU spokeswoman Karen Smith.

The Ellen for Rutgers campus group created hashtags, videos, started a petition, and even held a rally in Buccleuch Park to gain momentum for their cause, but they forgot one very important thing – nominating her through the official online process through Rutgers, new for the 2017 commencement speaker review process.

Of the 24 names submitted through the system during a four-week period last spring, Ellen DeGeneres’ name was unfortunately not one of them, and therefore, she is officially out of the running to be the speaker for the class of 2017’s commencement ceremony.

2017 was the first year this nomination procedure was in operation.

Ellen will not be speaking at graduation this year

“While we understand there has been a growing interest in Ellen DeGeneres being the speaker, Ms. DeGeneres was not nominated during the formal process,” Smith said.

But don’t lose hope – nominations open soon for the 2018 commencement speaker, and Ellen can be nominated for official review next year.

Rutgers University