New ‘Uber’ transportation service is cheaper and coming to Rutgers

It is expected to be released in March and will be available to the first 3,000 students who sign up today

It’s 3 a.m., and you’re at a friend’s apartment in Livingston. You don’t feel safe leaving your friend’s dorm because you already missed the last bus to get to College Ave. You know you can’t bear sleeping over again so you request an Uber. You think to yourself, “I need to be spending less,” but the charges are ridiculous.

Jabari Sills, a 25-year-old graduate of the University of Hartford, is bringing a new service called Youii to Rutgers this March. This app allows students to subscribe to the service and request a ride 24/7 anywhere on campus.

Jabari Sills Youii Rutgers University New Brunswick

Photo by Truman Mylin

“We are excited to introduce this service to Rutgers. Youii has gotten great feedback from the students so far.”

The Rutgers bus transportation proves effective only for the purpose of getting to classes and major areas on campus like dining halls and student centers. Many students resort to similar, but expensive services in moments where driving wouldn’t be ideal, or getting to places when the buses aren’t running or running late.

“I came up with the concept out of experience. I noticed there wasn’t a convenient way of getting around campus beside the shuttle bus. The alternative was an Uber or Lyft, but their surcharge was outrageous. It wasn’t practical to pay $6.00 to go from one side of the campus to the other.”

Rutgers will be the first school using Youii, so it will be limited to the first 3,000 students who sign up now. The app is currently available to download. The subscription is $40 monthly or $150 for the semester. The service will not be available until its release in March.

Photo by Youii Team

The majority of the drivers will be students attending the school. We also pay our drivers between $14.00 – $16.00 an hour depending on the time of transport.”

In order to ensure the safety of all riders, Sills makes sure every driver is thoroughly checked before being hired for Youii.

“Drivers must have their own car with a valid license, registration, and own insurance. All drivers are interviewed in person first. An intense background check is performed.”

Youii Mascot Bunny Rutgers University New Brunswick

Photo by Youii team

Any student interested in becoming a Youii driver, email [email protected]. For future updates, follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For more information, check out YouiiApp.com

Rutgers University