A letter to Intro to Media, the worst class ever

P.S. Don’t write back

Dear Introduction to Media,

You wrecked me.

I was incredibly excited fall semester to learn how media has and continues to shape our world today. I knew you would help me as a journalist to understand how much my future work will impact societal beliefs. Deep down in my heart, I was hoping it would change my life.

I was right; you did change my life.

The first week in, the lectures weren’t so bad. Rereading the syllabus, I knew your class required a little extra work, which I didn’t mind. The chapters were incredibly long too, but I couldn’t hate you for that.

Rutgers University Student Introduction to Media School of Communications and Information

Class after class, my notes were becoming books. All the history and concepts being taught was hectic, and by the time your first exam was coming around, I didn’t realize I had an extra 40 articles to read.

A 50 question exam based on three chapters and 40 articles? How the hell am I supposed to make sense of all of that?

Even after getting a very low grade on that exam, I didn’t give up on you.

Less and less students were attending lecture but I was always there for you at 9:50 a.m.

I began taking less and less notes because your first exam didn’t even have many questions from lecture. As long as I was paying attention to your concepts, I should be able to grasp you, right?

Your second exam called for nine chapters, with even more articles to read.

Rutgers University Student Introduction to Media School of Communications and Information Starbucks George St.

The articles were all beginning to be the same. About five would talk about videogame effects towards children and another five would discuss why advertising is shaping what is being fed to society.

It’s interesting the first time around, but you beat me to death with it.

I outlined each chapter in depth and every single article. I reread all my notes for an entire week before your exam. I even buddied up with others from the class to help them understand you like I tried to!

With all my hard work, I only got a B on your exam.

I was really losing hope in you. Your final called for three chapters, and 66 articles.

66 articles.

Your exam was at 8 a.m. on December 23.

“You need to push through,” I thought, but learning about government regulation and cable television became confusing. PBS did this, ABC did that. Who cares when the Internet is taking over? We learned cable subscriptions are dying so who cares?

I was falling asleep in almost all your lectures at this point.

I was trying to read as many articles and taking more notes but in some point in all my studying, I said, “fuck it!”

I don’t remember if introduction classes are supposed to make someone excited for the rest of their career, or weed out the weak ones. Oh boy, I was weak.

To all the nights I fell asleep rereading my notes, and the hours spent trying to make sense of the importance of a certain news organization, I never felt more stressed because of you.

I hate you but thank you.

Thank you for teaching me how much of a shitty class you were.

Love,

Someone who will never forgive you

P.S. Don’t write back

Rutgers University