‘Ellen for Rutgers commencement’ are holding a rally in Buccleuch Park

There will be free hot chocolate

The Ellen for Rutgers Commencement group  has announced they’re holding a rally and film shoot to get help get Ellen DeGeneres as the commencement speaker for 2017.

The event, which will be on Jan. 21 at Buccleuch Park from 1-3PM , was organized to rally up as many students as possible to be in the campaign’s video to send to Ellen Degeneres. The event will consist of spelling Ellen’s name with students’ bodies on the grass and using a drone to capture this footage. There will be free hot chocolate to all participating students.

The group will host this shoot at in front of the Buccleuch Mansion Museum in the open field.

New Brunswick Buccleuch Park Rutgers University

Buccleuch Park

Kayla Brantley, 21-year old senior majoring in Journalism and Media studies is the organizer of the group. She and other groups of students have been shooting and compiling videos since the beginning of last semester. Brantley plans to release the video by the end of January.

“Not only is she funny, but an amazing human being. Ellen advocates for so much of what Rutgers stands for, like equality and human rights. Her attitude of giving and kindness is contagious and I think the class of 2017 will enter the real world as better people with Ellen’s parting words,” Brantley said.

Ellen DeGeneres Rutgers University Commencement

Brantley has also created a petition to get Ellen at Rutgers. Find more information and sign it here.

Last year, the class of 2016 successfully persuaded President Obama to speak at commencement after being disappointed at the choice of former White House press secretary Bill Moyers.

Rutgers University