We asked Rutgers students what they really think about The Yard

We know we’re a little late to The Yard party

Rutgers may not always spend its money wisely, but once in awhile they get it right. One of those investments is undoubtedly The Yard at College Ave. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, The Yard is that random drop-dead gorgeous place across from Scott Hall that makes every other building look like a pile of rocks. Yes, that place with the enormous jumbotron. Freshmen may not get a taste of what it’s like to live there for at least another few years, but don’t feel bad about it — even the Livi apartment people get jealous of this. Nobody knows the extent of how awesome it is except for the lucky souls that got in. So, just to confirm the greatness that is The Yard, we asked Rutgers students what they think of it.

Zeel, freshman, Biology

“It’s super welcoming. Has a city-ish feel to it, but is kind of suburban in a way that you can just sit back and relax here. Something bad? Maybe the noise from buses and construction.”

Lauren, sophomore, Psychology

“It’s definitely aesthetically pleasing — the grass and TV. I haven’t really been there much or even sat down so I haven’t really found any problems with it yet.”

Angela, junior, Exercise Science and Naomi, junior, Communications

Angela (left): “I like how there are tables and grass so you can sit where ever you please. I don’t really have many complaints. I do wish it was all done though.”

Naomi (right): “I like how they made it a gathering place and obviously we like studying here. But I’m pissed we don’t have a Dunkin here yet. More Starbucks, but no Dunkin.”

Destiny, junior, Exercise Science

“I couldn’t find a place to charge my phone. It sucked cause it was dying so quickly cause I had my GPS on trying to find class.”

Justina, senior, Political Science

“It’s new and they have full size beds and new stores. But now there’s so many more people at the Scott Hall bus stop.”

Amanda, senior, Human Resources and Lauren, senior, English

Amanda (Left): “The TV is super distracting to me. I can see the change in color from my room in Easton Ave Apartments. One good thing is that they do have full size beds.”

Lauren (Right): “I feel bad for the people living across from the screen. Also some of the appliances don’t work or fit like the microwave.”

Amber, senior, Psychology

“I think that it’s a great new addition to the school, and especially toward the overall look of College Ave. I do wish everything in it was opened when the semester started though. The traffic over there kinda sucks too.”

Kanan, senior, Biology and Psychology

“It’s nice and all, but honestly I think it’s a bit overrated – at least the actual apartments anyway. Yeah they have full sized beds but half their kitchen appliances don’t work and their bedroom furniture is so weirdly set up.”

So there you have it, although it definitely has its pros and cons, I really wouldn’t take this brand new complex for granted – I’m looking at you freshman. We’ve been waiting for something like this for years. Easton Ave may still take the crown as food central, but once the rest of the restaurants open up, the competition will set in. So, thanks Rutgers, you did well. Now please open up the rest of the shops so we don’t have to keep living off the free Jimmy Johns samples.

Rutgers University