We asked Rutgers students about the worst gifts they’ve ever received

Let’s just say a lot of forced thank yous were said after receiving these gifts

The holidays are a time to share love, be with family and listen to Mariah Carey and Michael Bublé on repeat. But receiving (and maybe giving if you’re one of those) presents is arguably one of the best parts about this time of year – except when the gifts don’t exactly fit on your wish list. Here are some of the worst items students have ever been gifted.

Raquel Schwartz, sophomore, microbiology

When I was five, my dad’s best friend got me and my sister voodoo dolls for Christmas and I cried. And one time my aunt got me a Walmart gift card I was like WTF.

Angela Park, sophomore, psychology

I was given packaged raw meat in 7th grade for secret Santa. It made my locker smell so bad.

Joanna Su, sophomore, cell Biology and neuroscience

Someone gave me sand at a secret Santa party in high school. Worst gift ever.

Colee Bellmay, sophomore, undecided

One Christmas my grandparents gave me a corn grater to slice corn off the cob.

Caroline Clark, sophomore, visual arts

My stepmom once gave me a refill kit for a very specific scrapbook that I don’t even have. I have no use for it. I also got the sequel to a book I’ve never read and it was called “The Sequel to the Shadow of Bear Claw.” The cover was crazy. Everything about it was crazy.

Mike Iavarone III, senior, economics and IT

The worst Christmas gift I’ve ever received was from both my grandparents. They gave me and my sister, both, a tooth brush, floss and like a two dollar stick of deodorant. I’d love to see if somebody can top that.

RJ Parla, sophomore, journalism and media studies

I was in the 7th grade; my mom gave me a glass chess set, even though I already had two chess sets.

Danielle O’ Byrne, sophomore, political science

The worst present I ever got was when my mom got me three movies, 16 candles, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Devil wears Prada, two of which I already own on DVD and proceeded to give me the same shirt I already own. Not to mention that she gave my sister an iPod. It was the worst Christmas I’ve ever had.

Rutgers University