What it meant to grow up in Hackettstown

Home of lake-haunting ghosts, magical hikes, endless farmland and the best chocolate

I became too cool for Hackettstown too fast, or at least that’s how my mind worked once I entered the sixth grade. By the time I was too mature to climb trees, play pretend in our club house that overlooked a horse farm, run and jump on the rope swing, or make giant leaf piles, I wanted to be anywhere else but my hometown.

I like to call it small-town-girl syndrome, and once you’ve got it all you crave is wild worldly destinations, entertainment and maybe a cool Instagram picture or two for bragging rights. You see people on TV traveling to the most extravagant places and you see models in magazines basking on tropical islands. And there you are, in the middle of nowhere, lying on your driveway wondering how you’re going to break away from this lifeless piece of earth. For the longest time I thought I was going to die of boredom in my small, quiet hometown. And I truly thought there was no hope for my high school years, that is, until I got my license. That’s when I realized Hackettstown was only as lame as I made it seem.

Where to hike: Point Mountain

Ladies, rumor has it if you bring a boy up here and convince him you’re different from everyone else you’ll probably get a second date. Or at least that worked for me. Point Mountain is an easy hike that won’t melt off your makeup. It leads to a breathtaking view where you climb giant boulders and gaze at the beautiful, rolling mountains and emerald meadows.

Feed the addiction: Starbucks

One time, a bug flew in my hair and got tangled in it when I was at the Starbucks drive thru. I got out of the car, started jumping up and down frantically and cried in front of the barista as she handed me my drink. The Starbucks staff never brought it up or laughed at me for my mini temper tantrum. To this day, they continue to provide great customer service and even better caramel macchiatos (though they may butcher our names).

Candy Land

One of the best parts about living in Hackettstown is that it is a magical candy land. I’m not even kidding – our town smells like chocolate all the time. The M&M Factory is located in Hackettstown, and throughout the day it consistently gives off the sweet aroma of my favorite candy.

That’s SO vintage

The first time I went thrift shopping I sang the Macklemore song and was convinced the entire experience was going to be a joke. However, I was pleasantly surprised – the Main Street thrift stores were actually lovely little shops. They sell intricate garments that I had never expected to find. Although I didn’t purchase any clothing—just some timeless CD’s because I’m a music junkie—I still gained a new admiration for them.

The zonkey

Umm, we have a zonkey. A zebra-donkey. Beat that.

Adventures worth the drive

Sometimes you need a change of scenery. And aside from the hour drive to the Jersey shore (which is totally worth it because nothing is quite comparable to the liveliness of the Jersey shore), my friends and I commonly drive west to the Delaware Water Gap for a little get away. We loved the hiking trails it offered, which were more intense than the ones back at home. Our favorite hike was Mount Tammany. Now, this isn’t the first-date-bring-your-sweetheart type of trail (unless you’ve been dating long enough that you’re both okay with excessive sweating and being mortifyingly out of breath). Aside from the fact that it’s extremely difficult and takes about an hour to make it to the top, the best part of this trail is the beautiful view; you’re so high up that you feel like you can touch the sky. During the time you spend on top of Mount Tammany, you feel invincible.

Get scared

A town is incomplete without haunted tales. Hackettstown is no exception to this rule. Aside from the fact that creepy clowns have recently infiltrated our town, we also have some legendary ghost stories too. There’s Shades of Death Road, Ghost Lake, and the Profanity Houses: all popular destinations with creepy backgrounds that are great for scaring the shit out of you! Last year, my friends and I drove down Shades of Death road on Halloween at midnight with the windows down to look for ghosts. Sadly, all we saw when we rolled our windows up was a random handprint fogged on our window. We did not see any actual ghosts that I can report – but it’s the thought that counts, right?

The place that’s run by high schoolers

After football games, our entire high school would raid Applebees and stay well after 10PM for half off appetizers. This was without a doubt the social event to attend.

Scenic drives

Another one of my favorite things about my hometown has always been the scenic drives home. I literally live in the middle of nowhere, which has its perks because nature still retains its effortless beauty here. There was nothing better than looking out the window and always having a sight to see: whether it be the distant mountains, the leafy trees, or the sunflowers that were always planted by the cornfields at Donaldson’s Farm. Driving alone and listening to music, and simply enjoying the surrounding atmosphere was always one of the best parts of my day.

Little Tokyo

My favorite sushi place ‘Little Tokyo,’ where they know my name and order by heart. And just like Mount Tammany, this is also a place that I always bring my friends.

Hot Bagels: It’s Taylor Ham, Not Pork Roll

TAYLOR HAM EGG AND CHEESE–that’s how you say it. Not pork roll. Never pork roll. And the best place to get such a Jersey delicacy, none other than Hackettstown’s very own ‘Hot Bagels.’

Gorgeous sunsets

At least once a week, there is one night where everyone posts snapchat stories of the sunset without a filter. It’s so breathtakingly beautiful it doesn’t need one. Hackettstown has the type of sunsets that cause you to pull your car over to just sit back and watch, or that make you stop in your tracks and think about how mesmerizing life truly is. Taking a picture just happens by default, although it never photographs just right. Beauty like that cannot be captured: it is meant to run wild and free

Home sweet home

Now that I’ve moved away and relocated to New Brunswick, and made an entirely different atmosphere my home, I can say that I’ve never loved Hackettstown more. My love for Hackettstown has been captured in my memories. It is cherished as the place I grew up, the town I met my first best friends, the area where all my first fun memories were created. It’s like a photograph in my mind that makes me happy; the town I so desperately could not wait to get out of I find myself smiling at as I think about it.

Hackettstown, though excruciatingly small and quiet, will always have a soft spot in my heart. Sure, the two most interesting things about my hometown may be going out to eat and sweating to death on a hike. And sure, people-watching at Walmart might be the most entertaining thing to do aside from dropping $12 to see a movie, but it’s home. It’s where people hold doors open for you and always say ‘please’ and ‘thank-you’. It’s where people will give bright smiles and say hello rather than give nasty looks. It’s where peace and quiet only exists if you’re accustomed to the sounds of nature. And I love it. Even if it’s boring, and even if it takes me 25 minutes to drive to the grocery store – I wouldn’t have wanted to grow up anywhere else.

Rutgers University