We asked RU students if they feel safe on campus

‘I have pepper spray on my keys, and whenever I’m walking alone late at night, I always call someone so I don’t feel as on edge’

With the recent clown sightings and the violent Livingston crime alert we received last month, Rutgers has been in a bit of a rut when it comes to campus safety. Sure, no students have been hurt or injured amidst these crimes, but it makes for a weird atmosphere on campus. Honestly, we have enough stress as is from classes and exams coming our way; a creepy clown popping out in the middle of Cook Douglass really isn’t necessary. Campus is supposed to feel like a second home to us — yes, for commuters too — so we should feel safe. Yet, recent events have some students starting to bite their nails. 

Ryan, Junior, Communications

“It’s easy to say I feel safe on campus as someone who has never been in any situation that would make me feel endangered on campus, but as a lot of us know from the hundreds of crime alert emails we seem to get everyday, I’m not sure I should feel so safe. With that said, I don’t know if there is much more the university can do to make me feel any safer. They do a pretty good job of letting us know when there is a dangerous situation on campus in a timely manner, so until I get forcefully fondled on Livi, I feel pretty safe at Rutgers.”

Jessica, Sophomore, Computer Science

“I feel somewhat safe, but only because I take precautions. I have pepper spray on my keys and whenever I’m walking late at night I always call someone so I don’t feel as on edge. And with the recent clowns being spotted I’m even more aware of possible dangers. People are freaking out, but honestly girls in college have these problems everyday – being worried about getting assaulted or worse.”

Timmy, Junior, Environmental Science

I feel safe on campus because I know students have no bad intentions on the street. We’re all just trying to get to a party or go home. Most of the crime alerts happen because of people not affiliated with Rutgers. As far as the general population of students go, none of us are dangerous.”

Estephanie, sophomore, Exercise Science and Health Administration

“If I’m not alone I feel safe. If I’m alone at night, I’ll freak out. I feel like a clown wouldn’t pop up during the day.”

Taylin, sophomore, Linguistics

“I would say I feel safe. It’s a little sketchy at night, but I never feel scared going back to my house or something.”

Marlee, sophomore, Business

“I think I do feel safe, but not past Delafield Street around 10:30/11. Yea, it’s off campus, but still.”

Eddie, junior, Music Education

“I’ve never felt uncomfortable. That may be because I’m a guy, but I’m always comfortable.”

Lauren, senior, Dance

“I feel safe when I’m on actual campus. Some off-campus areas can get sketchy. At night I always make sure I’m not by myself anyway.”

Tiffany, junior, English

“I live right across the yard so I feel safe because I know there’s security here and there are a bunch of students I see all the time. And I see RUPD out. Of course, on George street I don’t feel safe all the time, but that’s a little off campus anyway.”

Mo, junior, Computer Engineering

“Yes, I feel safe. 3 years and nothing’s happened yet.”

It seems safe to say campus is on scary movie level right now. It’s not scary when the sun is up, but at night it ranges from just sketchy to dawn of the dead freaky. We’ll know it has gone too far when someone is selling space in their bunker for safe shelter. But in all seriousness, don’t be afraid to call RUPD and actually use the buddy system Rutgers pounded into our heads freshman year. It’s about time we actually use the safety precautions Rutgers is always promoting on flyers and sending in emails. Stay safe out there.

Rutgers University