Rutgers to host football-wrestling doubleheader at Yankee Stadium

‘It will be known as the ‘Big Ten Battle in the Bronx’

Yesterday, Rutgers Athletics announced that there will be a “Big Ten Battle in the Bronx,” a doubleheader event set to take place on November 4, 2017. The never-before-seen event will feature both the Rutgers football and wrestling teams. This comes four months after announcing plans to move a football home game scheduled for the 2017 season against the Maryland Terrapins to none other than Yankee Stadium.

The wrestling match, which will be the first in the history of the stadium, will take place first in the day, with the football game happening later that night. This will mark the football team’s fourth time playing at Yankee Stadium since 2011.

“We are thrilled to provide our fans this one-of-a-kind experience while enhancing the Big Ten brand in the world’s media capital,” said Athletic director Pat Hobbs in an official statement. “This is certain to be a very special day. We are thankful to the New York Yankees, the Big Ten Conference, and the University of Maryland for helping to make it possible.”

This season, the football teams will meet November 26th to conclude the season. On December 11th, the wrestling teams will face off on Maryland’s home turf in College Park.

Rutgers University