President Obama will receive an honorary Law doctorate from Rutgers

This will be President Obama’s sixth honorary degree from a major university

President Obama will receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Rutgers University when he addresses the 2016 graduating class at commencement on May 15th. According to a press release, the Rutgers Board of Governors voted on Monday to approve the award.

“We are delighted that President Obama has chosen to address Rutgers graduates at this year’s historic commencement and we are pleased to present him with this honorary degree,” said Rutgers University President Robert Barchi.

This will be the sixth honorary degree bestowed upon President Obama. Other schools who have provided this honor to the president include Howard University, Wesleyan and Notre Dame.

This commencement ceremony marks Rutgers 250th anniversary and ending Rutgers’ year long celebration of the commemoration. The campaign for President Obama as commencement speaker has been underway since 2013.

Prior to Obama’s acceptance to speak at commencement, Rutgers invited journalist Bill Moyers to deliver the commencement address. The university says that Moyers will still attend Rutgers’s commencement and will also receive an honorary degree from Rutgers. Moyers will address the graduating students at the School of Arts and Sciences convocation that occurs immediately after the main university commencement.

Rutgers University