Rutgers football team debuts new uniforms and they’re pretty nice

Chris Ash said he ‘wanted a nice, clean professional look that is traditional and identifiable with Rutgers’

Rutgers athletics displayed their new sports uniforms complete with Nike branding at the Rutgers R Awards yesterday, May 3rd, according to NJ.com.

Chris Ash told the site: “I wanted to go back to a traditional Rutgers look, one that was identifiable with us when we go play. When somebody sees our helmet or our jerseys, they can say, ‘Yeah, that’s Rutgers.’ I’m not into the Oregon thing and all the different uniforms and colors and things like that. I wanted a nice, clean professional, look that is traditional and identifiable with Rutgers.”

The uniform change stems from the fan base having a difficult time seeing and being able to read the silver-colored numbers, and comes after four short years since they last replaced them.

According to the Asbury Park Press, the “uniforms launched under the Nike Pro Combat System of Dress technology line [and] were inspired by knighthood – with metallic accents and battle “scars” throughout the fabrication – and paired with pre-scuffed chrome helmets.”

The new uniforms are essentially returning to a more classical look, reflecting a more conventional and palatable style.

The Asbury Park Press went on to say: “Rutgers athletics is wrapping up its fourth year of a five-year apparel contract with Nike worth $5.2 million with a $130,000 base payment to the school. The next contract is expected to go out to bid and be worth significantly more now that Rutgers is a member of the Big Ten.”

Rutgers University