I wore black lipstick for a week

It’s not just a gothic thing I swear

Makeup can completely change a person’s life. Some people use it to hide blemishes, or make them look more refreshed. Others use it to completely change their facial structures to give off a better look in their opinion. Either way, makeup is powerful and a variety of lipstick colors have become more accepted nowadays than in the past. There are lipstick colors in: blue, gray, yellow, orange… As  taboo as it may be, black is becoming more used amongst the average person like Kylie Jenner. My sister brought the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in “Witches” and never wore it so she gave it to me. Many view it as gothic and scary but I decided to wear it out for a week to see reactions among others around me.

Day one

As soon as I swiped on two layers of the lipstick, my mom looked at me and said, “Wow! It doesn’t look so bad!” Mom is always right, right? I was in my hometown and had to go to the laundromat. No weird stares, nothing said, I was fine. Since it was also my mother’s birthday, we went out to eat and nothing weird happened. At a bakery, the baker treated me with the most respect handing me a cupcake and took almost no notice in my dark lips, maybe she did it on purpose but so what? I had to buy a book at Barnes & Noble and got a compliment from the cashier! This wan’t so bad.

Day two

Since I’m back at Rutgers, I decided to go a bit more gothic with some heavy, black eyeshadow. I was getting more looks but not necessarily scary, dark stares. Maybe they’re thinking, “What the hell is she thinking?” It isn’t bugging me though cause I always wanted to go through a gothic stage at least one in my life. Remember ladies and gentlemen, confidence is attractive. Hiding your face in the crowds makes you look afraid. If you’re always looking down, you won’t catch the few people who are smiling at you because you look insane… in a good way.

Day three

I can finally put on the lipstick at a faster rate than before. It’s also my first day of work for the week. Surprisingly, everything felt normal. I smiled at people, and I received smiles back. I didn’t feel out of place. A coworker told me, “It seems like something you’d do anyways.” Wearing lipstick all day can be annoying, having to reapply every now and then. Though Kat Von D is pretty everlasting, it isn’t when you eat like a pig.

Day four

Since, I had an endoscopy, I wasn’t allowed to wear any makeup all morning. I wasn’t allowed to drive and had no energy to go anywhere so no makeup today. I spent most of the day napping away the anesthesia.

Day five

Happy birthday to me! Can’t look any happier, right? Got lots of compliments today from many guys. Yes, guys. It was definitely a fun time during work, especially when I didn’t realize how much of my lipstick was coming off as I was sipping my coffee. Even though it was wearing off, many people didn’t seem so surprised of my lips, and I wouldn’t care enough anyways. I learned how to reapply without a mirror pretty fast too without making it too messy. Feeling like a makeup artist now.

Day six

I had a doctor’s appointment and the first thing my doctor asked was, “Are you going goth?” No, doc, I didn’t even think I was at any point goth. But thanks for that. The nurse that did my blood kindly told me how beautiful I looked. I take no offense in goth, but in no way was I trying to fit into some sort of category.

Day seven

I was finally able to slide it on so easily without needing concealer to fix up the edges! I wish I had an award to give myself. Although I was a bit worried I’d be judged on it all, I wasn’t, and although some people took double takes, I was extremely happy from all the positive attention I received. Just because something may be out of the norm doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try it. This won’t be the last time I experiment with makeup. I’m eager to continue playing with it all because no one is stopping me from myself except me. Though it may be a crazy idea, you’ll end up fabulous anyways, I guarantee it. I wouldn’t want to stop but my lips need a rest from the dryness from the matte lipstick.

Rutgers University