Rutgers student hospitalized with meningitis

A campus email was sent out today to alert us of the incident

The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Health & Wellness, Melodee Lasky, just sent out an email to Rutgers University-New Brunswick, detailing the case of a student who has been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis (meningococcus).

According to the email, “the student, who was hospitalized on March 18, is receiving treatment and is recovering. Rutgers Health Services is coordinating its response with local, regional and state health officials. Those who had close contact with the student are being notified so they can receive antibiotics as a preventative measure.”

Lasky explains that, “the meningococcus can cause severe illnesses that may include infections of the lining of the brain and spinal cord (meningitis) and bloodstream infections (bacteremia or septicemia). Once diagnosed, meningococcal disease is treatable with antibiotics, but quick medical attention is extremely important. Signs and symptoms of meningococcal disease could include high fever, headache, stiff neck and a rash. These symptoms can develop over several hours, or they may take one to two days. If you feel ill you should seek the care of a medical provider.”

The email went on to say: “The bacteria that cause meningococcal disease are not as contagious as the common cold or the flu, and they are not spread by casual contact or by simply breathing the air where a person with the disease has been. Meningococcal disease is generally transmitted through direct exchange of respiratory and throat secretions by close personal contact, such as coughing, sharing drinks, kissing and being in close proximity for an extended period of time.”

“We will provide additional information and recommendations as they become available.”

Rutgers University