How to dump a friend at college

It’s harsh but sometimes it has to be done

I’m here to say it’s okay to outgrow people, even the ones you met in college. We meet some of our best friends and friends for life in college but not everyone is here to stay. You get to decide who makes the cut to stay in your life. We’ve all been in that honey moon phase with new friends we think are going to be in our lives forever but then we learn things about them that tick us off. This doesn’t make you fake.

I’ll be damned if I let one more person ask me why I’m being nice to so-and-so. Uh maybe because we’re all adults here? No, I’m fake? Mkay.

I think most of us who don’t want to be friends with someone anymore just think “OK I’ll ride out the rest of college then I’ll never have to see them again”. No. If you don’t want to be friends with someone anymore that’s OK you don’t have to pretend and let your sanity suffer. Dumping a friend in college isn’t that easy especially if you’ve got the same friend group or take classes together or even worse live together.

There are two ways to dump a friend in college. The clean break which means no more anything. Nada, zip, zilch, zero. You and so-and-so are done and there’s no explaining. Cut off all contact and abort mission.

Or you can gradually break off the friendship which I think works for most people. Stop telling them details about your love life or lack thereof. Don’t go on 2am runs to PJ’s for pizza and definitely do not keep snapping, tagging them Insta posts in the middle of the day or doing anything you used to. This route is for the person with a soul. I don’t have one so I’d rather go with option one.

If you’re worried about being confronted about your sudden or gradual change in behavior honesty could be the best move here and if they get angry and rude or evil and backstabbing then refer to option one. Again, seriously. College is a time to grow and figure things out so if you figure out you don’t like a certain person you thought you’d be friends with forever after you met in a gen. ed. freshman year it’s alright.

Drop ’em like it’s hot and do you boo boo.

Rutgers University