I’m a first generation immigrant, and this is why I’m making a big deal about my graduation

I’m graduating in about 80 days — but who’s counting?

Last week, someone asked me why I was so excited about graduation. At the moment I couldn’t really explain why, but the more I thought about the last five years, the more I came to the conclusion that graduating college deserves more merit.

I’m a proud “super senior”. Because of circumstances out of my control — transferring from a community college, credits not transferring, changes in my major — I’ve been in college more more than the “traditional” four years. Being a super senior means I get more time to enjoy this wonderful bubble called college, but it also means I have to face some hardships for a little longer than others. College has been a painful but exhilarating race, and I can almost savor the sweet taste of victory (AKA graduation).

I am a first generation immigrant to the United States — and a first generation college student. All my life, I’ve been told I can’t do certain things, and college was one of them. Being the first person in my family to attend university comes with many complexities some students will never have to face. My mom still doesn’t know what the FAFSA is. I’ve never received any type of education about student loans. My family has no idea why I’m majoring in anything other than Pre-med, Pre-Law or Business, and they certainly don’t understand why I’m taking longer than four years to finish a “simple” degree.

Being first generation means I am the first one in my family with the privilege of obtaining an American education, which will allow me to get one step closer to the American Dream — the dream we exchanged warm Dominican afternoons for freezing winters in New Jersey for.

When I speak to friends who are also first generation students, we literally marvel at how hard it is for us to graduate college. There are so many layers to our experience in higher education that sometimes go completely unnoticed. During my time in college, I have been diagnosed with depression, had my heart broken, tried to commit suicide, lost my home, had changes in family structure… the list goes on.

Being an immigrant has affected my drive tremendously: There’s a kind of weight you carry on your shoulders that sometimes brings you down. That weight drove me to want to end my own life, but it’s also the force that made me change my mind and keep giving it my all in order to get to the end of the race. That drive pushes you to do more and to be twice as good as the next person.

Because of my unique experience and all the struggles I’ve faced getting to this point, yes, college graduation is a big deal to me (and many others like me). Soon, I will be one of the less than 15 per cent of Latinos who have a Bachelor’s degree. I cannot wait to hug my mom in my cap and gown and see the smile on her face when she hears my name being called at commencement.

I’m also so excited to see what the “real world” has waiting for me, and I’m ready to switch my college t-shirts for business attire. I am so close to achieving that American Dream we came to the United States for, and I am so proud to say that in less than 80 days, I will be holding one of the keys to my success.

Rutgers University national-us