We asked Rutgers students what their childhood dreams were

Obviously someone said astronaut

When you’re a kid, you’re full of hopes and dreams, but as we grow up we start to become a little more realistic. I asked around campus to find out what Rutgers students’ dream careers were as children.

Saige Gomez, junior, Exercise Science and Sport Studies

“A zookeeper. I will own my personal zoo. Maybe I’ll physical therapize a horse.”

Samantha Mohr, junior, Supply Chain Management and Finance

“I wanted to be a professional ballet dancer. That was my number one. Then I wanted to be a grade school teacher. I was obsessed with my 2nd grade teacher. Then I wanted to go to business and law school and then I came to college was like, no law school.”

Patrick Bell, junior, Communications

“I’d make a kick-ass astronaut. I always wanted to go to space.”

Laura McKinley, freshman, Biomedical Engineering

“I wanted to be a teacher for when I was like six to 14. I always just wanted to help people out.”

David Mawyin, freshman, Psychology

“Doctor. I went to this wedding one time and this old lady was in a wheelchair and she told me to become a doctor so I could heal her. I cried afterwards cause I felt bad.”

Shannon Harrity, senior, Communications

“Vet. I used to take my dog to the vet. You have to literally stick your finger up their butt! Forget that career path!”

Brandon O’Donnell, senior, Biomedical Engineering

“I didn’t want to be anything. College made me decide. Looking at engineering looked boring to me. I wanted to switch many times. Eventually you’ll fall into the right track.”

Christine DeSpirito, senior, Public Health and Communications

“A pediatrician. I always viewed myself as a compassionate person. I always wanted to help people. It was my duty. After taking hard classes, I discovered becoming a doctor wasn’t really easy. I wanted to take my two loves to put them together. Hopefully I’ll make some difference in the world before my time comes.”

Rutgers University