It doesn’t suck being vegan

Just cause I can’t take jello shots doesn’t mean I can’t have fun too

Just to clear up some confusion, veganism is refraining from eating anything that comes from an animal. This includes meat, eggs, and dairy.

Now you might think I’m crazy. I am.

I went vegan because my sister decided to go vegan last year and I was vegetarian before that. I thought, hey if she’s going to do it, I might as well. And despite all the negative hype, it hasn’t been all that bad.

Stop asking about protein. I eat a ton of beans, grains, and veggies to accommodate it. A good vegan doesn’t need any vitamin pills to replace B-12. My doctor was surprised that my levels were fine.

It’s not expensive either. Look up the price of a can of black beans, then look up the price for a pound of chicken. It’s only expensive if you enjoy buying expensive foods. No, I don’t miss cheese, or eggs, or meat.

I still eat bread, ice cream, cake, and fries. But I also eat veggies and squeeze in exercise. It’s a balancing act.

Plants don’t feel pain. PLANTS DON’T FEEL PAIN. Just cause I’m “vegan” doesn’t mean I’m the same as the other vegan you met. I’m an animal-lover, environmentally concerned, and some vegans don’t know shit about health, or the animals. We’re all human too.

I’m not vegan because I think I’m better than you. Yes, I get annoyed if you eat your dead cow in front of me even though I’d rather have you enjoy a hearty, healthy animal-free meal, but I will not make a scene of it, I promise.

No I will not force you to eat anything I eat, but you’d be missing out on some amazing food.

No I won’t preach you to turn vegan because most people don’t have open minds and would rather hit me in the face if I tried.

Yes, I am saving animals. I don’t care that you think otherwise.

I have an open mind, I’ll hear you out. Just remember, with all the animals you all are trying to eat, all of their food could be for us and maybe there wouldn’t be a problem feeding the fucking world. Do you know what global warming is? Animal agriculture contributes to it way more than all of the transportation in the world. Climate change is caused by your actions of buying more and more animal product. Great documuntary explaining this, Cowspiracy. It’s on YouTube for free.

My dad took me to a steak house once. He’s overweight. I asked for some sautéed vegetables and it was delicious. Many restaurants will accommodate to your dietary needs. I once asked for a chicken bowl but without the chicken. They responded by adding more veggies. And no, not all veggie burgers are vegan. They might contain eggs to be a staple to keep the veggies together.

Yes, I became healthier. I used to be anemic all the time, but turning vegan has completely changed that. I feel more energized and efficient when I have to get anything done. I started lifting tons too. Vegans can have strength. Vegans can be athletes. Just look up youtuber, Vegan Gains.

Vegans aren’t hippies. Beyoncé, Ellen DeGeneres, Jared Leto are just to name a few. Don’t believe me? Great young YouTubers to watch and get a sense of the lifestyle are the power couple, Plantriotic & izzy.davis, Stella Rae, freeleethebananagirl and many more if you give a “What I eat in a day: vegan” search on YouTube.

I didn’t realize how great this lifestyle was. Animals deserve our love and care instead of slaughter. They have feelings, they have families, and they’re innocent, but we’ve ignored the fact. Would you love to kill your dog and put it on a plate? So many of you guys probably can’t even go out and kill a pig and eat it. Even if you can, you’re a fucking murderer. Is it that easy to think that your appetite is worth more than their suffering? I don’t care about the circle of life bullshit. I dare you to fight a lion. We’ve advanced so far with technology, soon enough, we’re going to have to eat less animals because there’s less and less space to keep them in. Developing countries survive on grains, beans, and plants cause it’s way cheaper. It’s worked.

But trust me, I won’t shout this out to you every waking moment. A good vegan opens the eyes of others. We’re understanding. I was bought up a heavy meat-eater but I changed cause now I feel better and know better.

Vegan isn’t a diet, it’s a lifestyle.

Rutgers University