Dr. Ron Paul at Rutgers: ‘Evil is evil, no matter what’

He spoke at the Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) conference, the same organization that brought Milo Yiannopoulos to Scott Hall

Former Congressman Ron Paul spoke at Rutgers Saturday evening in the College Ave Student Center.

He spoke at the Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) conference, the same organization that brought Milo Yiannopoulos to Scott Hall on February 9th.

YAL members and unaffiliated students and professionals alike attended the conference.

Photo by Laura Marchoff

Coming just a couple of weeks after Rand dropping out of the presidential race and the Milo controversy, Rutgers students were interested to hear what he had to say.

Paul talked about Libertarianism and that he believes there is not much difference between the Republican and Democrat parties, explaining that he thinks the current American financial system will collapse if it continues the way it is.

Photo by Aaron Laserna

YAL NJ State Chair and Rutgers president Matthew Boyer planned and hosted the convention along with his organization.

He said: “This convention has been months in the making. It was truly an honor and a privilege to bring Congressman Ron Paul to campus. Since he is my political idol, hosting him is something I will remember for the rest of my life.”

“Dr. Paul’s message of liberty resonates very well with young people, which was illustrated in the standing ovation he received. I was so excited to hear him speak again, our chapter was thrilled to host him, and so many of the attendees were ecstatic that they were able to get a picture with him.”

Ron’s best quotes

On the recent Apple protests: “The odds of Apple winning this are slim to none”, comparing it to the second amendment debate, “There are some people who think if someone uses a gun illegally, the solution is taking guns away from everyone else.” “That’s what the fourth amendment is all about too… we should be able to talk and communicate and not be spied on by our government.”

On international relations: “I’m delighted that we are talking to the Chinese, we’re talking to the Cubans, and we’re talking to the Iranians.. and in the 60s, with the missile problem in Cuba, … we talked to Khruschev…that was sort of settled there, the bombs weren’t dropped on either side.

“We shouldn’t be trapped into thinking that there’s something inferior about an American who takes the position that we should be conscious, maybe we should talk to people before we start bombing them, you know — something old-fashioned like that…

On Americans’ relationship with their government: “Even on economic policy, the government don’t tell us the truth. They say we’re OK, and there are no problems, and they lie about statistics, … 60% of the American people don’t trust our government and they think the government lies to us.”

On the future of the United States: “The era of big government and welfarism, socialism, fascism, and communism in the 20th century has proven that they don’t work… Will it be revived for a while or not, or will it just collapse? I believe it’s going to collapse, because no matter who gets in, they can’t revive this economy… because the correction is not palatable politically.”

On voting for “the lesser of two evils”: “Evil is evil no matter what.”

“How can government know how you should spend your money? How can government know what your personal lifestyle should be? … They don’t know what’s best for you.”

On the U.S.’s involvement in other countries:  “I don’t see how talking could be harmful. You know it’s so inconsistent how we do that. You know we go through WWII, we give all this money and weapons to fight on the side of the communists… and then they become our enemy… we gave Saddam Hussein his first nuclear reactor… we’ve been fighting a war every since… it’s a steady war.” Later, he added, “You’re not supposed to invade other countries.”

On #FeelTheBern: “It demonstrates how much more work we still have to do… Because an individual on the Republican or Democrat side will say things and people will think ‘hey that’s pretty neat!’ but shouldn’t be enough to put your head in the sand, and that’s what they’re doing.”

On the #BlackLivesMatter movement: I don’t know all of the details and I’m not speaking for what they say or what they do… but for speaking out and taking a position, I would only ask that it be a discussion, an explanation, of course they have their definition of what Black lives matter means but I think the words, there’s nothing wrong with it…

“We should be concerned about why so many blacks are being killed by other blacks in the inner city and why we lose fifty per night… if Black lives really mattered,  they would be dealing with that instead of pretending that the only damage is done because a white person has a business and is earning money and that’s the cause of the problem.. there’s a right to organize and speak out, and to organize labor and speak out… and to not violate private property.”

After, Dr. Paul took a professional picture with each attendee.

Ron Paul meeting a student

Rutgers University national-us