Why Galentine’s day is better than Valentine’s day

Boys are gross

I could just say “cuz boys suck” and call it a day, but there’s really more to it. I’ll be fair.

For those of you who don’t know what Galentine’s day is, it’s spending Valentine’s day with the girlies. You know — the real baes. There are a thousand and one reasons why Galentine’s day beats Valentine’s, but I’ll just tell you the most important ones.

You can eat as much chocolate and Valentine’s Day calories as you want without being worried about bloating. Days where we can lounge about with no bra, makeup, or any sense of decency while scoffing down bags of candy don’t come so often, so when the opportunity arises, we have to go all out. Galentine’s Day is one of those occasions.

Sure some girls are comfortable enough to do anything or look any way around their boyfriend, but who doesn’t love to just kick back and bond with people who understand why the orange pads beat the yellow?

Besides, in the spirit of Valentine’s, it’s the perfect opportunity to get the best dirt on everybody’s love life. This always involves those old crush stories about the guy who made you feel like a non-existent potato or that douchebag who broke your heart and maybe a couple friendships while he was at it. Of course, one person is bound to tear up or cry, but that’s not what Galentine’s is for.

It’s for taking the chance to be salty together and celebrating that you all have each other. It’s the one day everybody gets an all-out ranting pass. I know the forever alone committee all too well and let me tell you, they deserve one day to shake their fists at the world and repeatedly ask why they’re still single. Like really, why?

Girls may have a lot of drama but Galentine’s, like Valentine’s, is a day to show each other unrestricted love. A matter of fact, it can be spent almost the same way as Valentines. Go out to a movie with the bestie, buy chocolate for her — or not, because you know she doesn’t like it — and sharing a delicious meal over candlelight. Laugh and have a good time knowing you have someone special to appreciate. It’ll probably go better than a real date tbh. Maybe we’re just sensitive, but it seems like guys have a knack for saying something wrong.

End the day with some Netflix and freshly baked cookies and you’ve got yourself the perfect Galentine’s day. Oh and don’t forget the best part. Waking up and laughing at each other’s gross morning face before hitting up all the stores for post-Valentine’s day clearance candy.

Rutgers University