Rutgers bans hoverboards on campus

I guess Knights will be walking to class

Rutgers University is applying a temporary ban on hoverboards throughout campus. So don’t try to hide them in your dorm room.

Hoverboards, self-balancing scooters, “wannabe” Segways – whatever you call them, they’ve been all the rave in recent months. But they’ve also been all the rave in the media for catching on fire.

The Tab Durham

Since these devices have caused fires and other related injuries, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have opened further investigations.

Rutgers Department of Emergency Services Chief, William R. Scott, included in his briefing: “This ban will be reevaluated at such time that the CPSC has concluded its investigation of the fire-related incidents involving hoverboards.”

So have no fear – those of you who rely on your “Segway impersonators” still have a chance at making a comeback on campus after the investigation.

Chief Scott said: “If you choose to use them off-campus, please be sure to follow the safety precautions outlined by the Consumer Product Safety Commission or the National Fire Protection Association.”

Rutgers University