I scouted out the best thrift stores around Rutgers

And I got advice from a thrift store employee on how to find the best deals

Let’s be real – college doesn’t come cheap and most of us are broke. That makes looking stylish kind of difficult.

So where do we go when we can’t afford to look as cool and unique as we are on the inside? We make like Macklemore and go thrift shopping.

Kimmy Gonzales, a senior Journalism and Media Studies major, works at Plato’s Closet in Edison, a consignment store that specializes in selling “teen casual styles.” Everything in stock has been sold to them by people who come in and sell their used clothing.

She said: “It’s stressful especially since we’re not just a regular consignment shop. We have to go through everything that people bring in and determine if it’s something that would sell well at our store.

“I’ve had to go through bags and bags of nasty, used underwear and socks. There was one time I found a syringe in someone’s stuff and another time that my one coworker found an entire heroin kit in the bag that they were going through. My coworkers have also found condoms in purses – used and unused – and weed in people’s clothing.

“There was also one time this lady brought in a street lamp in a huge garbage bag filled with kid’s clothing. There were other times that there were just bugs crawling around in the items that we had to look at. Obviously, we passed on everything that those people brought in.”

It sounds scary, but it didn’t deter me from going on with my quest to find bargains for days. Kimmy gave me some good tips to going out and achieving my money saving goals.

“My number one tip is to be patient and thorough, especially if you’re coming into Plato’s Closet. Everything is pretty much mixed in. While we do organize by size, color, or what kind of item it is, it could still take someone forever just to find one item they like.

“I would also suggest trying things on before buying and to check out the sales rack. And sign up for the email list so you can be in the know about upcoming sales. Sales at an already discounted store will always help people save a few bucks.”

And so, after a quick Google search gave me a list of thrift stores in New Brunswick and the surrounding area, I set out to get the best bang for my buck using Kimmy’s advice.

Simuel’s Closet

The first place I visited was Simuel’s Closet, located at 55 Morris St. right behind Rockoff Hall on Douglass, which makes it an easy walk from the EE bus stop.

It has a very chic feel to it, and it’s very comfortable.

The first thing I learned is that it’s not really a thrift store. It’s run by the Simuel Whitfield Simmons Organization, which is a non-profit that benefits at-risk youth and families in New Jersey. All the clothing and accessories for sale are donated by large companies and brands such as Tracy Reese and Zara when they can’t sell them in their own stores or when they run out of room in their warehouses.

You shouldn’t expect to find anything Goodwill-cheap, but Simuel’s Closet is a good place to get designer clothing for men and women at a discounted price. Also, the selection of store is more on the formal side, so if you’re looking for a cheap evening gown or pretty heels, this is the place to go. Despite that, I still snagged a loose tank top for $8.

Somewhere in Time

If you’re looking for actual vintage clothing and jewelry, this is your go-to. Somewhere in Time is a bit further out. Located at 115 French St., it’s around the corner from Robert Wood Johnson.

When you go inside, it’s warm and kind of smells like your grandma’s closet, which I guess makes sense for a store that sells antiques and 60-year-old clothing. The store has been around for 30 years, longer than most of us have been alive, and prices haven’t changed since the 80s. I found a pretty pink tulle lingerie and slip set from the 1960s that was being sold for $5. You can also find beaded dresses from the 1920s for around $35-40.

However, we’re college students, and I don’t think many of us will be showing up to the next frat party looking like we walked out of The Great Gatsby. So to find something a little more wearable, I finally made the trek to Plato’s Closet in Edison.

Plato’s Closet

If I had more time and more money I would spend it at Plato’s Closet. They. Have. Everything.

I’m not kidding. They have everything you can imagine, from Guess joggers to Free People leather pants. Most of the store is young women’s clothing, but there’s a lit selection of guy’s clothes in the back including acid wash jackets, snapbacks, and Nike and Adidas kicks.

I also found a crazy-looking denim dress.

The brands on sale range from Forever 21 to Calvin Klein to Dr. Martens. They keep the brand name shoes behind the cash registers. I saw a pair of tall Ugg boots, which usually go for around $150, being sold for only $50.

The store is located at 775 US 1, about a 10-minute drive from Livingston campus if you take Rockefeller Rd and Suttons Lane.

Here’s what I ended up copping from the stores I went to:

A yellow tank top from Simuel’s Closet, $8

Calvin Klein leather and velour jacket, still with tags, from Plato’s Closet, $16

Black studded bracelet from Plato’s Closet, $3

Sparkle & Fade (Urban Outfitters) drawstring pants from Plato’s Closet, $12

In total I spent $39 and I’m “savin’ my money and I’m hella happy that’s a bargain.”

I think next time I’ll probably check out some cheaper places like Holy Shirt on Stone St., Unique in South Plainfield, The Reformed Church of Highland Park, Elsa’s Thrift Store on Bayard St., the St. Alban’s Episcopal Church on Lee Ave, Kool Kidz in Edison, the Goodwill in East Brunswick, or even the Salvation Army on Handy St.

Maybe then I’ll really experience what it’s like to pop some tags with only $20 in my pocket.

@_AleishaNotKeys

Rutgers University