Princeton to hire Men’s Engagement Manager to combat ‘violence’

The university hopes it will ‘challenge gender stereotypes’

Princeton has decided to hire an “Interpersonal Violence and Men’s Engagement Manager” in order to combat violence on campus.

The new position aims to “provide short-term clinical interventions and victim advocacy, and serve as the prevention specialist focused on mentoring and engaging men.”

It will also “develop and implement men’s programming initiatives geared toward enhancing awareness and challenging gender stereotypes, increasing the community’s understanding of interpersonal violence dynamics, and reducing behaviors that lead to both perpetration and victimization.”

According to Princeton, 25 percent of female undergraduate students experienced some type of misconduct during the 2015-2016 academic year.

The decision quickly received backlash from right-wing media outlets like Fox News and College Fix.

One site accused Princeton of “implicitly [referring] to men as perpetrators and women as victims.”

The university released a statement to say:

“Princeton’s program is similar to programs at other colleges and universities and is consistent with established best practices that encourage both men and women to create and foster a culture in which there is no place for interpersonal violence and where safe and healthy interpersonal relationships are the norm.”

NOW WATCH:
The Tab Princeton The Tab Princeton News